𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

"I confess that I don't know why, but looking at the stars always makes me dream

"I confess that I don't know why, but looking at the stars always makes me dream."

-Vincent Van Gogh

PROLOGUE
TWO WEEKS PRIOR

third point of view

THE young woman was sitting down in the middle of the hallways of the Post Impressionism paintings hanged above the plain white walls. The young woman was looking at the infamous starry night; feeling captivated by the famous painting. She was listening to a Mozart piece as she kept looking to find out a deeper meaning of the piece.

She was so focused on depicting the painting that she didn't notice another person sitting next to her. The intense gaze she had on the painting and the peaceful aggression of Mozart was enough to make her feel peace. Meanwhile, the person next to her was also staring at the painting, however; the sight of the focused woman made him look at her briefly.

She was about to stand up and move on to another piece until she felt a tap on her shoulder. "Sorry to bother, but I had a question." The young man asked as he looked up at the woman. He was wearing a beanie and a face mask covering himself expect for his eyes whose were staring at the girl.

"Oh, sure. I guess a simple question doesn't hurt." She softly said and sat back down next to the stranger. "What's your question?" She said as she fully looked at him. "Okay, I know this Van Gogh piece is famous; but I never understood the meaning behind it..by any chance do you happen to know?" He said as he looked at the piece and back towards the girl.

"I mean, there are many connections about Starry night. Some could say it's about nature or that it's just some innocent painting worth a lot. But, this painting depicts Van Gogh's mental health and his illness. It was no surprise that he suffered with mental health but that his paintings barely were selling." She said as they were both staring at the beauty of the piece.

"His art style wasn't impressing and wasn't popular at the time. The only person who bought his art was his brother, Theo. The fact that he painted this while staying at an asylum says a lot about his mental state." She said slowly and softly. "Does that answer your question?" She said as she turned back to look at him. The young man was surprised, the look in his eyes was enough to make him shocked. "It did. So there really is a depressing meaning behind it." He said to which the girl hummed back.

"Most art isn't sparkles or rainbows; most classic art is meant to be discovered and understood for its hidden messages. Think of it as an Easter egg inside of the paintings." She said to which he just nodded. "I know it's just the starry night, but you seem so invested in these artworks- are you an art historian by any chance?" He said as he looked stunned.

"No, but I do go to an art school and have a fair share understanding of art." She softly smiled and he simply smiled back at her through his mask. "One day, I wish my art and legacy could end up on these walls; not like it'd happen anytime soon." She said to herself. "Don't say that, before you'll even know it; your art will be on display for everyone to see. There's no reason to have self doubt." He said as he fully turned his body to stare at the girl.

"Take it from me, I still doubt myself about my future. For me, my life is just starting yet I still worry. However, when I think of the positives in my life; I realize that everything I've been doing is for the better." He said as he assured the girl. "Well thanks for your advice stranger," She said to which they both chuckled. "Is it your first time at an art museum?" She said hoping to start a conversation with the stranger.

"Not really, I've been before for school trips but never understood these artworks. Art isn't my specialty but I've slowly gathered some interest," he said to the girl to which she hummed in reply. She was about to reply back to him until she heard his phone vibrating though his jackets pocket. He quickly grabbed it and looked at the contact name before rolling his eyes.

"I'm sorry, but it's an important call..will I see you soon someday?" He said as he stood up. "No worries, I understand. Also maybe you will or maybe you won't." She said as she also stood up. The two young adults were standing looking at each other with the painting right in the middle. He just laughed as a smile could appear through his mask once again.

"You're mysterious. I like that. Well, this is a farewell. Oh! And thank you for educating me a bit on Vincent Van Gogh." He said as he held his hand for her to shake. The girl shook his hand and the two smiled at each other again.

He waved goodbye to the girl and dashed out of the gallery. The young woman was processing her interaction with the stranger. She always goes to that art museum usually talking to herself and collecting her thoughts; not sharing them and communicating with someone who might forget her the next day.

A small part of her found it suspicious of his appearance and his accent. She knew he wasn't from Dortmund and totally gave off vibes of a rookie in an art museum. She brushed her thoughts aside and took one last look at the Starry Night. The beautiful yet dark painting with a  hypotonic flair so beautiful yet tragic. She smiled to herself before collecting her bag and walking away.

Little did she know that her interaction with the stranger could lead to something even more beautiful, more blossoming, and more poetic than anything.

📸

🎨#: a/n

hello everyone! I'm not dead or anything but rather busy with school. I know it's been a long wait but trust the process please! just this month and I'll finally graduate high school!! also different writing approach for this book so look foward to that .

p/s: this chapter is dedicated to velovr who kindly requested 🤍

again please trust the process and inconsistent updates :)