"Niraj, Keahi, go with Tao to take out any hostiles inside." the regiment leader said to two men. The two benders exchanged looks before nodding, flanking Yan on both sides. They followed the earthbender girl up the steep steps of the Fire Nation Palace, their shoes squeaking and echoing against the porcelain floor as they ran inside. They all looked around at the long hallways, unaware of where they should go.

"You two go right and I will go left. Meet back with me once you have finished your tasks." Yan whispered. She was already making her way down the left hall before the two could protest. After sheathing her sword, she looked around before continuing; now that there were no members of her regiment around, she decided to use her bending. She walked carefully and quietly, her heart pounding in her ears. She found it odd that there weren't many soldiers or guards around but just figured that they were all outside the palace.

"Alright, it has to be around here somewhere..." Yan said to herself as she walked past doors and rooms in the massive palace. She would be lying if she said she wasn't lost.

As she turned down a hallway, she came face to face with a guard who looked around her age. The guard was noticeably shaking in fear, his form unstable; Yan could blow at him and he would fall over. He then dropped his spear and put his hands up in defense, sweat beads forming on his brow. Yan simply walked past the trembling guard, scaring him off; she chuckled when he ran away, whimpering as he hurried down the corridor to presumably hide somewhere or find a new pair of trousers to change into.

After walking through corridor after corridor, she finally came across a massive door; it had to be the Fire Lord's chambers. Two guards stationed at the door spotted her and began to shoot fire at the young earthbender girl as she tried to get through. She counterattacked their blasts of fire and paused, waiting for them to attack first. The soldiers circled her before positioning themselves on each of her blind spots in an attempt to catch her by surprise. When they simultaneously launched fire, Yan used the corridor wall to pin them both to the adjacent wall, greatly restricting their movements. While they struggled to get free, she ran to the massive doors and pushed them open.

She found herself in a large room; certainly fit for a Fire Lord. As she was admiring the room that was as large as her house, she felt the heat of fire brush past her. She snapped out of her starstruck gaze and raised her hands in defense. However, she paused when she saw someone she did not expect to see. Who was this man before her? And why did he look to be around the same age as her?

Standing in front of Yan was a teenage boy no older than her with dark hair, golden eyes, and a noticeable scar over his left eye. Fire burned in his eyes as he stared at the female intruder who he guessed was here to assassinate him. He was silently asking himself why the girl before him was dressed in men's clothing.

"You're the Fire Lord? But I thought the Fire Lord was a man... not a teenager." Yan said, her eyebrows scrunching together. Everything she heard about the Fire Lord was that he was a terrifying, menacing man who towered above all. Nowhere did it say he was a teenager! She began to have second thoughts; he was just a teenager like her. Maybe this wasn't the right thing to do.

"The man you're looking for is my father. Who are you and why are you here?" the teenage boy questioned forcefully, his golden eyes fiery with anger. She looked down at her hands, confused and at a loss for words. A million thoughts swirled through Yan's head. She couldn't do this; it wasn't right. True, she hated the Fire Nation, but there was something about this teenager that triggered something inside her.

As she continued to think over the pros and cons, she could hear shouts and running footsteps echo down the corridor. She had to hurry and make a decision. As the sounds got closer, Yan used her bending to seal the doors shut to prevent anyone from entering. She lowered her hands to show she meant no harm toward the teenage boy before her.