Chapter 9

"By the gods."

Kusan sat in stunned silence. Cyr moved past him and rolled over a fallen Brute.

"Plasma wounds," he declared.

"This Sangheili has been pierced by spikes!" said Arieti, gesturing at an Elite.

"Did the Flood do this?"

"No," replied Arieti. "If it was them, there would be no bodies."

"They killed each other?" Klaflam asked.

Cyr grunted. "Sangheili, look here. Sangheili! Do you know of this?"

"Wha–" Kusan stuttered. "No, no I don't–I have no idea..." he stammered. The Brutes were impatient, scowling, wanting answers. "Uh, look around. Yes. Look for any survivors. We need to know what–"

"Aye," said Cyr, turning away.

"Klaflam, you help too," urged Kusan. The Grunt nodded and followed the Brutes.

Kusan knelt beside the bodies of Elites, checking for a pulse. The bodies were still warm despite the snow: whatever conflict had occurred ended just before they came out.

"I found something!" announced Klaflam, waving a circular object in the air. It was a little holoprojector, with a flickering visage of a Brute, voice interrupted by static. It seemed to be a looping message.

"Give me that," said Cyr, snatching the device from the Grunt's hands. He began to fiddle with a dial on the side.

As Kusan walked forward, a shape caught his eye. An Elite in Infiltration armor, a different color than the rest, sitting with his back against a fallen tree in a pool of purple blood. A whisp of breath escaped its familiar helmet.

"Officer 'Hacamee!" cried Kusan, dashing to the Stealth Elite's side.

Sesu stirred at the mention of his name, and looked up as Kusan knelt by him.

"Officer 'Hacamee!" Kusan repeated, grasping at the Sangheili's helmet. Sesu didn't relent, and allowed Kusan to remove his mask.

The scarred face of Sesu stared glassy-eyed at Kusan. Purple blood trickled out of his mouth and dripped onto his dark armor, steaming in the cold.

"'Sunamee..." he muttered.

"Yes, sir."

"The Jiralhanae have betrayed us."

"What?"

"The Brutes cannot be trusted."

Kusan glanced back at Cyr and Arieti. They had gotten the message to replay, and were alternating worried frowns.

"I need to get you out of here," said Kusan, reaching down to lift the other Elite.

"No!" Sesu winced, and gestured at his side. Cooled Brute spikes poked out from jagged holes in his armor. Even as he shifted, tiny fountains of blood squirted out.

Kusan deflated. "What can I do?"

"Find..." Sesu heaved. "Find Jaz Zap. In the mountains to the east."

Kusan nodded. Behind him, he saw Cyr tuck the holoprojector into his belt. The pair of Brutes exchanged a knowing look, and walked towards the two Sangheili. Klaflam watched with wide eyes.

"Take my sword," instructed Sesu. He grabbed Kusan's wrist and planted a cool metallic hilt into his right hand. "It has never failed me."

Kusan ran his finger over the blood-covered sword hilt. Tiny scratches were carved into it, dozens, on every available surface: tally marks of missions completed.