Chapter 5

Mea adjusted the steel falcon pins that held Henry's fur cloak in place. Then she tenderly moved a few stray strands of his silvery-brown hair.

"Don't fret sweetheart. I will speak up for him, many of the council members would listen to our side..." he told her gently.

"... yes, but some will not," she replied. "And my brother did not come, neither did Bayard."

Before Henry could reply a servant girl, Marie stepped into the room and curtsied. "The members of the council have arrived, they await you, your majesties."

King Henry and Queen Mea nodded, then turned to enter the council room. They sat down at the long table.

"We have called this council meeting to discuss the fate of our son, Prince Benjamin," Henry spoke in an official manner rather than his normal friendly tone.

"This is a difficult matter," said Laurence, the baron of Cloudland shire and keeper of the white tower. He was one of King Henry and Queen Mea's most trusted friends and allies. Beyond that he knew more of the happenings in the world than many. He folded his hands and placed them on the table, looking at the other council members through his eye. His other eye had long since been lost and replaced by an eyepatch. Despite that he didn't look like the thief Henry and Mea had known all those years ago, somehow he managed to look like a nobleman. He had lost his eye in the great dragon war and had since been gifted a relic of the ancient wizards, a small round stone which possessed the power to see to every corner of the kingdom. He wore this stone as a second eye, but still kept it covered with his eyepatch; for if he didn't he would not have been able to see what was happening right in front of him.

Everyone turned to listen to his opinion on the matter.

"He is an enemy general, he joined Drake in his rebellion against the throne. But he is also Anoria's only heir to the throne, the last of the royal bloodline," Laurence pointed out. "And while I have watched him unleash many terrors on the land, I have also seen him do great deeds befitting a king of Anoria."

The king and queen nodded.

"Nonetheless I say that he deserves death," replied King Edgar of Helmsdale.

Queen Mea remained silent as he spoke. She had already made up her mind to take his place, whatever sentence he received. 

"We cannot allow him to be sentenced to death for something that we are to blame for. We sent him to be Drake's apprentice, he was only a child who was influenced by an evil man," Henry spoke up to defend his son. "That was our choice, not his."

Everyone was silent.

"Besides, he may have valuable information that can help us end this war once and for all," the royal advisor, Cedric pointed out.

Laurence nodded in agreement.

"I agree," Queen Natalia of Nianar spoke up. "If we sentence him to death it would only fuel Drake's cause. If we would not even show mercy to the son of the king and queen's son what hope would other's forced into Drake's service have? I have heard rumors that he builds his armies by forcing orphaned boys to serve him, that he only spares defenseless families if their sons and fathers agree to join him. Fear is his greatest weapon and with a dragon at his side the people have reason to fear him. If we keep our arms open to those who are finally able to desert his army, it would grow our numbers and decrease his."

"He was brought back in chains. He did not come here begging his parents for a place to hide because he chose to leave," King Edgar said.

"But as a general some of his men were probably more loyal to him than to Drake, they would probably come willingly to serve him. He is a well loved commander, I am certain that many of Drake's own men would rather see him as their king than Drake," said Laurence.

"And it is for that very reason Drake uses our son," said Henry.

"Nonetheless, I say he deserves death. He may be only a pawn, it wasn't Drake's sword that conquered many of our villages it was Dragoth's," said King Edgar.

Many of the council members voiced their agreements, but Mea said nothing. Henry could not understand why she was suddenly so quiet. How is she holding herself together? he wondered. Tears had already formed in the corners of his eyes. They had finally gotten their son back, only to lose him forever all because of a choice they had made. Why had he trusted Drake with something as precious as his only son?

The room was filled with the loud voices of councilors arguing over what the prince's fate should be. Suddenly the doors flew open and a great wind filled the hall. They all fell silent, looking around terrified of the unseen force.

It was then that their saw a figure cloaked in white enter the room. She threw back her hood to reveal her long platinum hair. Her fair youthful skin seemed to glow like the moon. She appeared to them as an ethereal form, filled with beauty and grace. Yet there was still power that radiated from her, a gentle command. It was at once like a whispered plea and command yelled by the loudest voice.

"Who are you and how did you come to enter this hall?" King Edgar asked.

"The only thing you need know is that I am the last of a dying people," she held up her hand. Her magic crystal ring shimmered as if by a will of its own showing its power. At the sight of it they knew at once that she was a wizard... but it was said that the great wizard Obadiah had been the last of the ancient race that had roamed this land long before the age of men. Everyone knew that Obsidian had slain all of the wizards before Henry and Mea were wed.

"Obsidian has grown too powerful for me to keep him at bay. For many years my magic has been a net of protection over Anoria, staying his cruel hand. But now his darkness dwells in this very room setting you against one another, and setting you to destroy the only hope you have of defeating him."

The council members all exchanged glances before looking back to the luminous lady who stood in their midst.

"The chieftains of Anoria are descendants of Merlin. Since Merlin's son Falmar defeated Obsidian long ago he swore to destroy his line. When he regained his power enough to escape his imprisonment at the deepest darkest place of the earth, he killed every member of the royal family save one girl who managed to escape. He fears your bloodline because it was prophesied long ago that a descendant of Merlin would slay him," she said. "Benjamin is the son of which the prophecy spoke. He will have a hand in Obsidian's defeat. If he dies all hope dies with him. Obsidian has sought to destroy Benjamin since his birth. King Henry and Queen Mea sent their son to Drake to protect him. They did not know that their closest ally had fallen into Obsidian's clutches."

"It is true," Mea admitted with a heavy heart. "That is why I could not let him die, it was my fault. I was trying to protect him and I failed. I do not doubt that Drake forced him into his service, and I fear what harm may have been done to my son."

"Long have the wizards guided and protected our people, I say that we pay heed to their wisdom and do as she says. The fate of Anoria is at stake," Natalia spoke up.

Everyone nodded in agreement, some more reluctant than others. But finally it was agreed that Benjamin would be spared.

After the council had been dismissed, Henry and Mea stayed behind to speak with the lady wizard.

"What can we do to protect our son from Obsidian?" Mea asked.

"I know that your son is the one of whom the prophecy spoke, for on the day of his birth a stone fell from the red star as was foretold. I could not speak of this to the council for some among them are under the influence of Obsidian. He is but one half of the prophecy, the other half is the maiden whom it is foretold shall be his bride. They are both vulnerable apart, but together they are strong enough to overcome the darkness," she told them. "That is why it is my advice that he marry as soon as possible."

Henry nodded. "But who should he marry? Surely if he marries the wrong girl the prophecy will not come true."

"Follow your hearts. You are bound to her just as you are bound to Benjamin. I know you will choose the right one," she replied.

Mea and Henry looked at each other for a moment before nodding. And with that she vanished as she had come: with the wind.