Chapter 3

Mea seemed especially sad that day. She was always so, but she seemed to be missing her son even more than usual. Renee did her best to cheer the queen up, knowing all too well how it felt to miss a loved one.

Renee came to the sitting room where Mea sat looking at some paintings of Benjamin as a child.

"I brought you some tea your highness," Renee said.

"Thank you Renee," Mea took the teacup that Renee offered her. She took a sip of it before looking back to the painting. "He turned twenty-four today, but I only got to know him for half of his life and even then he spent most of his childhood far away under my brother's care."

"Why?" Renee asked.

"He wasn't safe here," was the only reply Mea would give her. "I haven't seen him since he was thirteen years old, I don't know if I would even recognize him anymore."

"You're his mother, you would probably recognize no matter what," Renee answered.

Mea nodded. "But I don't know him, not anymore."

Renee nodded. Perhaps it's for the best that she never knows the monster her son has become. It would surely break her heart, she thought silently.

"I wonder if my father would recognize me," Renee whispered.

Mea took her hand. "He would. I'm sure he's watching over you even now. I know he is proud of the woman you've become, I am proud of you so I know he is. In the two years I've known you I have watched you blossom from a child of the forest into a graceful young maiden."

Renee smiled shyly. "Thank you, my lady. But I fear the child of the forest I once was will never truly die. I'm still not used to sleeping in a bed. And I still like to go hunting with Henry and wander the wood near the castle."

"I know. But I love you just the way you are. I have had three handmaidens before you, both were dear friends to me until life took them in a different direction, but you are the only one that I have ever wished to call my daughter. Henry is just as fond of you," Mea replied.

Renee smiled at her. "Thank you for being a mother to me."

Mea kissed her forehead. "I need you just as much as you need me."

~✧~

Renee went to the meadow to pick more flowers for Mea. She knew how the queen must feel, missing another of her son's birthdays. Every year when the anniversary of her father's death came, she would relieve the grief of his death.

As she gathered the flowers she began to hum the lullaby that her father used to sing to her.

When her arms were filled with a bright assortment of flowers she ran into the castle.

"Watch where you're going," a visiting dignitary from Helmsdale snapped as she almost bumped into him.

She bowed her head. "I'm sorry, my lord."

"I would think that the queen's handmaiden wouldn't run barefoot through the halls like a child," he sneered then turned away.

Renee ignored him and continued into the throne room.

She stepped into the large open space of the throne room. The room was so long that it appeared narrow, but it was an optical illusion. The room was just as wide as the dining hall but it was much longer.

A dark blue carpet stretched across the cobblestone floor from the door all the way to the thrones. The ornate thrones sat two steps up so that the king and queen could address a large crowd if need be. But for the moment only the king and queen, their guards and the page were in the room.

The Dark Prince's Bride (the original version of Will You Love Me?) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें