Chapter Thirteen

Mare

She meets me in the shadows, the alleys of the courtyard that seldom catch the eye. There were more Newbloods this morning, a man whose skin was smooth as glass and hard as diamond. He glared at us, me most of all. I couldn't help but glare back.

"I don't trust you." My grip on her hand is iron, my smile a knife. "You know that?"

Elane laughs. "I would be a fool to guess otherwise."

A flicker of movement catches my eye, a head of sandy hair in the background. Too tall to be Lu. Too bold to be a servant. A noble without the good sense to stay away.

I snarl. "Who's your friend?"

She startles. Her eyes flicker to where I've pointed, widening. "Stay away from her." Elane tugs my sleeve. "We're not friends. We're not even enemies."

I blink. Elane's perfect mask has slipped, ghostly as Maven's for the first time. What demons lie beneath her smile?

I don't want to find out.

Anabel's estate was too far for my liking, an hour of Elane studying my face and peppering me with questions. Most were benign, such as how I found Whitefire, but others were more sinister, such as whether Maven had promised the Newbloods any titles. I don't engage, smiling until my face falls off.

The iron gates loom darker than before, the flames starker and more ominous. I find myself edging closer to Elane, who studies her nails and pretends I don't exist. My silence must've offended her.

A squeak resounds through the transport, and I stiffen. "What was that?"

"The wheels." Elane waves a lazy hand. "They do that sometimes."

It's my turn to squeak. "What?"

"Don't worry. Usually there's no accident." She props up her chin. "Usually."

I jolt, clutching the door. "I'm getting out."

"We're already here." Her hand grips mine as if afraid I'll flee. "Keep to the walls. We don't want to be thrown out before we have an audience."

My feet stumble onto the pavement, hands flinging against the iron bars. Elane leads me through the gates, falling behind once we enter. Our footsteps are louder than I expect, a strange echo off the marble. I swallow. "You ready?"

She chuckles.

I clutch my hand to my heart as we make our way through the halls, forcing myself not to glance behind. At some point, the echo stops, and I keep moving. Anabel's chambers are guarded by sentinels, and they frown as I knock. They don't say anything.

"Elane." I turn behind me, but there's only air.

Well.

Not quite.

Lupa grips my hands. "I'm so glad you brought me along!"

The door creaks.

I hold an arm to hide her, but it's too late. Anabel surveys us both, eyes darkening. "You brought a Merandus here?"

"You recognized me?" Lu trips as she bows, stumbling into me. I narrowly avoid knocking into Anabel, bowing against the door as my palms begin to sweat. It had been her squeaking in the transport, not the wheels. Elane must still be behind us.

I swat at the air, lunging, but she's quicker, already long gone. Anabel watches me, skrunkling her brow. "Did you wish to bring me to your side by force?"

"I–" There is nothing left to say. Not anymore. Even if I revealed the truth, I would be proving myself too gullible to trust. I run, every sunbeam strengthening until they blind me. I trip.

A voice echoes off the marble. "Nothing personal, I promise."

I laugh. "You'd think that, wouldn't you?"

"We could've been friends." Sadness, one I don't trust. "You shouldn't fight Evangeline, Miss Barrow. It only leads to heartache."

I spit, and it lands on her cheek. Her face darkens. "Come back to the palace." Light twines around her fingers, sparkling like diamonds. "Unless you think you can try again?"

"I've had enough." I spit again, but she ducks. "I'll be sure to mention this to Maven."

She laughs. "A king's favor only extends so far."

The transport ride is stiff and unyielding, even as Elane tries to make small talk. I will not make the mistake of her company again. No matter how she insists this is only business.

Lupa shuffles in place, fidgeting. I glare as I never have before, a chance at power lost to the detriment of my new wards. I cannot train them myself. I don't know how.

"We're here." Elane finds the courage to speak again. "I'm sorry it had to be this way."

I scoff. "Are you?"

She sighs, shaking her head. I am not worth wasting her breath for. Lu grips my waist. "I'm sorry, I didn't know–"

"Save it." I march off, crying into my sleeve. I'm such a fool. Even with my guard up, I manage to be tricked.

The next day brings more Newbloods, a woman with explosive eyesight and a girl made of silence. She fights to get off the platform, restrained by men whose strength is from muscles and not ability. I think her name was Cameron.

"Next." I sound dead inside. I certainly feel it.

A boy steps forward, and my heart skips a beat. I know those eyes. I know that hair. I know that skin, that smile, that voice. Shade looks up at me and announces his ability, a fake last name and a lie for a backstory. Beside me, Lupa stiffens.

She knows. She's gonna sell us out.

But she only nods, telling Maven he speaks true and saying no more. He doesn't question her. He has no cause to. Any deception would reflect poorly on me.

It is then that another woman steps forward. Long sandy blonde, built like a string bean, a startling resemblance to Lupa, who lights up at her appearance. "Gwendolyn Samos. Former general, and Lady of House Merandus." Her eyes shine. "I have come to assist Ambassador Barrow in training her new wards. Permission?"

Maven nods to me. "Accepted. Ambassador?"

My eyes dart from her to Lupa, mother and daughter, an apology I can't afford not to accept. I take her hand. "Welcome."

"Thank you." She grips it so tight I fear my fingers might break. "Let's burn this place to the fucking ground."

Red RuseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara