Chapter Ten

Mare

The library is quiet, empty but for a few servants stacking the shelves. I'm reminded of Julian and his lessons, the catharsis of my ability crackling to life. A truth uncovered, hidden even to me. He died for it. For his sister, he said.

I pace through the aisles, reaching for the odd book only to pull back. The Panther worked in the shadows. I should not be looking in the light. Yet I cannot bring myself to search the next place. To ask Maven another favor when I'm already so deep.

I grit my teeth. Part of me is tempted to beat the answer out of him, but the rest of me knows it wouldn't work. Maven has been trained to lie through pain, and he would call the guards before I struck a second time. Still. It would be fun.

Another, traitorous part of me wants this. To pry promises from his lips as I did on the boat, sink one hand in his hair and the other in his crown. The king's ear. Maven's lover. Both set my heart pounding in different ways.

I will never make the mistake of loving him again. But I can pretend. I can command my maids to add subtle touches to my makeup, to fetch a gown I know is to his taste. I can summon him to my chambers and pretend not to notice him. I can grab his hand in surprise, only to pull away, flustered. "Can you–" Head down. Bite your lip. "Teach me to dance?"

He frowns. "Surely you already know how."

"I forgot." Little transparent, but keep going. "Evangeline was making fun of me for it earlier."

"Evangeline's opinion is worthless." Maven scowls. "She'll stop at nothing to keep you from her crown."

"She has the respect of Court. I don't." A shameless curtsey, one he helps me up from. "Shall we dance?"

He hesitates. My hand fits in his like a glove, guiding him to my waist. "You're a natural," he murmurs.

"Am I?" Be humble, and he will compliment you. "I hadn't noticed."

A brow raise, followed by my hand in his. "Surely you know how to waltz."

"Of course." I chuckle. "Do you?"

Maven sighs, letting me go. "I don't have time for this."

"Cal had time for this."

That catches his attention. His fingers entwine with mine again, closing the distance between us to impropriety. I let my breath catch as he adjusts my stance, gentle nudges breathed against my ear. He's good at this. I must be better.

When it is time to spin, I trip. He catches me, a sharp inhale, flushing as I press my hand against his chest. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize. Not to me." His hand lingers over mine, unwilling to pry me away. "I'm here to teach you, aren't I?"

Now or never. "Evangeline told me something strange. A mysterious disappearance." I lean closer. "You wouldn't know anything about it, would you?"

A beat passes.

He chuckles. "So that's your aim."

I burn, suddenly hyper aware of how I must look. How our dance has pressed me against his chest, arms folded in an embrace. The king of lies is not easily flustered. Yet I can't ignore the silver creeping across his cheeks.

"I've been playing this game longer than you, my darling." Maven shakes his head. "Though I must admit, it was a valiant attempt."

"I'll take that as a yes."

He leans closer. "Who wants to know?"

"I do." A step away, sloppy footing he must correct. "Isn't that enough?"

Maven catches me in his gaze, running a hand along my arm. "It's sensitive. There are many who would hurt you to get ahold of it."

"If you tell me, I can protect myself." My heart pounds as he touches my chin. "What else am I to do?"

Too close. He's too close, too intense, too gentle as he strokes my jaw. His thumb grazes my bottom lip. "Who told you to seduce me for it?"

My breath catches.

"I'm not an idiot, Mare. Someone told you to ask me about Ara Iral." He leans as if to kiss me. "Someone who would destroy you, if given the chance."

"I never mentioned Lady Iral."

Maven pauses. "You didn't." He steps back. "Neither did I."

I shake my head. "Elara didn't like her, did she?"

"Mother has many enemies." He shrugs. "Who am I to keep track?"

"I'm not an idiot, Maven." Oh, to throw his words in his face! "You're her son first, and your own person second."

His facade cracks like an egg, a glimmer of doubt before solidifying. "You don't know what you're talking about."

A raised brow. "Elara didn't lead me out of that cell. But you needed her permission to keep me breathing."

"Permission I received."

I cluck my tongue. "For now. What happens if I become her enemy?" He dips me, and my frown sharpens. "Will I befall the same fate as Lady Iral?"

Maven rights me. "Never."

"Hmm." My head tilts. "I don't believe you."

He stiffens. "What will it take?"

"Tell me what happened to Lady Iral." A hand at his chest, a gaze up through my lashes. "Tell me what the worst could be, so I can avoid it."

Maven hesitates, letting go of my waist. "You don't want to know."

"Neither do I." A voice rises from behind us, and I almost jump. Evangeline leans in the doorway, studying her nails. "Knock it off, lovebirds." Her teeth flash. "The first newblood has arrived."