25 | Water City - II

Start from the beginning

'I gave you a chance but you tossed it aside,' said the creature in a giggle to Taeyong, then his eyes turned savage as he bellowed through the dark mist, 'Feed,' and at once those fiendish minions leapt at the boat from all sides.

Immediately, Taeyong pushed Dal-ae to the back of the boat along with the rest and cast a Shield Charm around them, creating a protective barrier between them and the vampires, while he propped himself up on the prow of the boat, slashing through the horde that was pouncing on him. There were at least a thousand of those dreadful creatures crawling like insects from all directions towards Taeyong. And, though this was not a difficult number for him to finish off in a second, right now he was weak from the heat that he generated earlier. On top of that, the Shield Charm was also eating away from his energy.

At the back, Dal-ae bundled up the group together and stood beside them ready to attack if any vampire comes close. But any time one of them tried to dig their long yellow nails into the barrier, they were tossed away with a jolt.

Gashes after gashes, Taeyong waded through the creatures who kept pouring in. The water below the boat had turned a deep red and the snow around them had stains of the same colour. Blood oozed out of the mutilated parts of the creatures scattered lifeless in the snow and the water and not long before blood dripped on the ground like rain from the bodies hung upon the tree branches. But no matter how many Taeyong killed, the number seemed to remain the same. And, despite his resolute fight against those monsters, Dal-ae saw it, the first shiver of Taeyong's body and the slight tremble in his hands when he cast a rather powerful charm killing a bunch on the right. His skin, which was already pink, was now turning red and he almost lost his footing when a vampire tried to shake him off the prow.

This seemed hopeless.

But it is not to be forgotten that everything in the vampire realm belonged to the Vampire Lord and when Taeyong shut his eyes and called for help, the water heard his prayer.

The bloody water of the stream rose through the mist like a menacing metal sheet with a scarlet so terrible that it seemed like hell itself was rising from the ground. Their ear drums rumbled with the sound and their eyes glinted red in the reflection. The red sheet of water rose higher in the sky and with a swish of his arms the sheet whooshed out with currents so strong that it wiped the entire horde at once, slashing them apart in the middle as it did.

Behind him, he checked on the safety of Dal-ae and the group, who were securely sealed within the Shield Charm. Dal-ae nodded at him to let him know that they are fine. He sighed in relief thinking it was all over but when he turned around he saw, to his horror, more of those creatures creeping out of the shadows as the water receded around them.

The Patriarch, who had found his spot atop the highest tree branch, snarled and lapped up his tongue across his mouth again, curving his lips into the most lascivious smile. 'Did you think it would be this easy?' he mocked. 'We are just getting started.'

The fog around the boat thickened, wrapping them up in a heavy blanket so thick that they couldn't even see their own hands. Taeyong stilled and waited. He had to be more careful now otherwise he might hit the Shield Charm or the boat. His ears perked up, Taeyong relied on sound to slash through the new horde of creatures.

At the back, things had turned grimmer for the group of humans. At least earlier they could see what was happening but now with this fog the awful sounds of snarls, growls and flesh tearing and ripping seemed to have been amplified. They heard the terrible scratches of nails and licks of tongue against the Shield Charm before the vampires were tossed away.

Taeyong's body was now giving up. His arms were burning red and his chest was almost on fire. He couldn't go on, not like this. He had to do something else it will become impossible to fight everyone off at once.