Part 44

The birds outside your window and the sun shining into your face were what woke you up the next morning. You rubbed your eyes, about to turn to the other side, when you realized there was another body next to you. Your gaze fell on Tony, holding you tight against his body. Your heartbeat quickened as you tried to think of what to do. Just when you pushed him away from you, he woke up as well.

"Y/N? Is something wrong, sweetheart?" He asked you.

"Sorry." You mumbled out. "Uh... we really shouldn't. You're still with Chloe."

"I'm not. Not anymore." He said, making you look at him. "I was hoping I could get over you, but it's impossible." He added, while you ran your hand through your hair.

"So, you're not... "

"We broke up."

"Right."You rubbed your forehead before moving the covers away.

"Where are you going?" He asked you.

"To the bathroom."

"Why?"

"To pee, Anthony. Or is that forbidden, too?"

He let out a sigh as the door to the bathroom closed. He ran his hand through his hair, pulling on the ends of it, obviously frustrated with the whole situation. He got up from the bed, going to the kitchen to make you breakfast and some tea. When he returned to your bedroom, he saw you were in bed, phone in hand.

You exited the chat with Steve, where you asked him to come over later in the day when Tony goes back to the facility to grab some of his clothes.

"Here you go. I tried to make something." Tony said, placing the tray in your lap.

"You're getting better in cooking." You joked, watching as he let out a small laugh.

"Well, you taught me how to cook, didn't you?" He asked, watching you eat. "I'm going to grab some clothes later and I'll bring Maria with me, too. You should just rest."

Later that day, when Tony left, Steve came over, letting himself in and going to your bedroom. "Thank you for coming, Steve."You told him as you sat up and he brought a chair over to the bed.

"I told you it's not a problem, Y/N. Anything you need, I'm here."

"I actually called you here to talk."You looked down to your hands, nervous for what you had to say.

"About what?" He asked.

You took a sharp breath and looked up, meeting his blue eyes. "Look, Steve. You're a wonderful, kind man and I couldn't be more thankful I have you in my life. You... you were such a huge help to me, but I think we're better off as friends. I... I'm sorry. Really sorry."

Steve looked at you in silence for a few moments before smiling and nodding his head. "Of course, Y/N. I know you're not over Tony yet-"

"No, it's not-"

"I get it, Y/N." He chuckled. "Maybe you don't notice it, but I can see it in the way you two only look at each other. You love each other. You're only wasting time in pointless arguments."

"No, I can't... " You took a breath, looking down at your hands again. "I can't get over what he said to me."

"I know. But this is coming from someone who experienced that life is too short and you don't have much time with your loved ones. Enjoy every little moment and don't waste time. Because you'll regret it." He took your hand in his, squeezing it. "You two are made for each other. Those past few weeks, he's been miserable without you. You make him a better man, Y/N. And you should only see the way your face lightens up every time he's in the same room."

You nodded your head, placing your hand on top of Steve's. "Thank you. Really. And I'm sorry again."

"Don't be." He told you, meeting your tearful gaze. "I should get going now. Tony will come back soon, and I've gotta show Bucky around the city."

Tony arrived half an hour later, carrying Maria in his hands along with a small bag. "We're back. Say 'hi, mommy'. " He told Maria, who only produced a small giggle as Tony gently took her hand to wave to you with it.

"What is that?" You gestured at the bag, and Tony's face lightened up.

"This? It's just... actually, why don't you open it?" He asked you, placing the bag in your lap and your eyebrows furrowed when you took an Iron Man onesie out of the bag. "Isn't it cute?"

"You had time to go shopping, too?"You asked, letting out a chuckle as you looked at the onesie.

"I saw it in one store and we agreed to get it. Right, sweetie?" He asked Maria, who nodded. "It's for the baby."

"Oh, really? And here I was thinking you got it for yourself."You replied sarcastically, making Tony roll his eyes. "Can you sit down?"

"What is it?" He asked, his eyes narrowing as he went over every possible scenario in his mind.

"I just want to talk."

Tony, after a long time, actually felt anxious. He placed Maria on her feet and let her stand by his side while he sat down on the bed.

"I was thinking, and uh... I think I want to keep the baby."You said, watching his eyes lighten up when you said it.

"Really?" He couldn't help the grin forming on his face. "You're not joking with me, or something?"

"Why would I joke about this kind of stuff?"

"Right." He suddenly picked Maria up from the floor, and she let out a squeal."Hear that, sweetie? You're gonna have a baby sister, or a baby brother."He told her, placing a kiss on her soft cheek. You watched them with a smile on your face the whole time. "I promise you, Y/N. I already changed and I'm gonna keep working on this whole thing even more. The three of you will have my full attention any time. I'm sorry I've been such an asshole." You gave him a stern glare, then looked down to Maria. "Right. I forgot we got a kid who only likes to repeat swear words." He lifted her up in the air, making her laugh loudly before he brought her down, placing a kiss on her cheek again.