Chapter 32

Josephine

Disclaimer: smut

Today is one of my friend's birthday parties, I've been feeling kind of down recently so I thought going would cheer me up. I went out and bought her a gift I know she's been wanting for a while, and even baked her her favorite pastry. Once I wrapped it in a pretty box, I tied a pink bow around it for the final touch. 

For tonight I decided to wear a black mini dress, I know shocker, with some strappy gold heels. I put on some gold hoops and some red lipstick for a fun pop of color. When leaving the house I just get an awful feeling in my stomach, I'm not sure why.  

I don't really want to go tonight, but I haven't been out with friends in so long, I've been too busy hiding from the media. It's draining honestly, being right in the middle of it and hiding from it. Recently, I'm just so tired, emotionally, physically, and mentally. And I'm sure Jack has noticed it too, he really tries to help but I'm just not feeling it. 

Once I get into my car I slide in the CD Teddy made me, it's Pheobe Bridgers' discography including her unreleased songs and covers, and today is a day for Pheobe. I sit in my car with both hands on the wheel and a blank expression on my face. Her music has the power to make me feel so comforted and heard but also so alone. 

"There it is again, that funny feeling. That funny feeling. Hey, what can you say? We were overdue, but it'll be over soon, you wait," I listen to her soft voice ring through my car speakers. I tear tries slipping out of my eye but I catch it before it can ruin my makeup. I figured I'd be crying at some point today so I ditched putting on any foundation or concealer even if I needed concealer. 

I park my car in the garage, taking a minute to breathe in and out before fixing my makeup. I grab my small bag, and lip gloss, looking for my phone before getting out of the car. When I can't find it I curse, "Fuck," to myself, becoming slightly frustrated with myself for not being able to do a single thing. 

I apply some lipgloss onto my lips, tossing it into my clutch before grabbing Sophie's gift and slamming my car door shut in frustration. Crossing my arms as I listen to my heels click onto the pavement with each step. I walk up to the door, giving the security my name before they let me in. 

When I walk in I'm met with pink lights illuminating the room, a tower of presents in the corner, and an open bar. Sophie is my kind of girl, especially tonight when I desperately need a drink. I set her gift down among her other presents before walking over to the bar and ordering a shot of tequila.

"Any lime or chaser with that?" The bartender asks me, and I shake my head no, taking back my shots without making a face. "Impressive," She smiles, I shrug my shoulders before thanking her for my shots. "Can I get an expresso martini?" I ask, before stepping away from the bar needing a security drink with me. 

I watch her make it, completely mesmerized by the mixing of my drink. I give her a hefty tip before walking away with it in search of Sophie. I catch the birthday girl doing shots in the back, but when she meets my eye her face lights up. "Josie! Come take a shot with us!" She yells over everyone. And who am I to refuse a shot?

I walk over clinking the glass with her before knocking it back. I watch their faces screw up before moving closer to Sophie to bring her into a hug. "Happy birthday, Hon! I love you," I show her the best smile I can conjure up today. 

I turn around to go mingle somewhere else, but as if there was a gravitational force pulling me towards him I see Jack in the corner, with a girl's hands in his hair. That fucking prick, I knew I should've listened to my gut. God, why am I so stupid sometimes? I really loved him.