Locket

Y/n Y/l/n

The stumbling grotty creatures got closer, the one I was holding up was winning as my arms were tiring, and they were doing it quickly.

Great.

I tried to take deep breaths to keep my strength.

Suddenly, an arrow pierced through the head of the walker, the tip inches from my face, The dead creature was ripped off me, the others around me toppled from bullets.

Daryl stood there, he held out a hand for me, I took it, he dragged me up, shoving something into my hand.

"Here" The thing in my hand was one of hit hunting knives, "Knew that flimsy thing would break" he huffed out, my breathing was still heavy.

"Thank you" I told him quickly, he nodded before we went back to killing walkers, I'd thank him properly after this was over.

We managed to take out the last couple of walkers out, as soon as we did, Rick ran up to Carl, embracing him in a massive hug.

The kids were crying, some of the mothers were as well, I was panting heavily, that was fucking tiring.

"Y'all right?" Daryl asked looking me up and down, I nodded, not finding the breath to talk, suddenly, I felt extremely selfish as I remembered Amy, I turned to see she had also been bit in the neck and was currently bleeding out in Andrea's arms.

I m clasped my hand over my mouth, tears brimming my eyes.

"Oh Amy" She cried out, stroking her sisters hair. Amy wasn't speaking at this point, she was only letting out groans and whimpers of pain. "I don't know what to do Amy" Andrea admitted through tears, I could feel my own brimming my eyes.

I loved Amy, she was one of my closest friends.

She tried to stammer out words, I couldn't do it, I turned around, not wanting to see.

"Hey, hey" Daryl grabbed my shoulders, looking me in the eyes, I noticed his eyes flicker to the wounds on my face.

I had a bruise on my cheek and a cut across my nose that had been bandaged with a PAW PATROL plaster, he looked as if he wanted to question it but decided not to.

"Amy's not going to make it is she" I let tears stream down my face revealing the severity of the situation, Daryl didn't reply, he only pulled me into a hug.

Daryl Dixon

I was holding a crying Y/n in my arms, I didn't usually like physical touch, and it felt weird.

I mean yes I'd had sexualy encounters with females before but it felt different when it was her, it felt... weird.

She wrapped her arms around me, crying, I looked over to Shane who was giving me dirty glances as I comforted his sister.

I mean, he couldn't say much, I swear I saw him protecting Lori and Carl before Y/n, something wasn't right.

"Thank you for saving me" She whimpered, I nodded, running a hand down her hair, trying to settle her.

~

It was Morning now, Y/n hadn't managed to get much sleep, I had laid down a tarp along with the sleeping bags and set up some more tarp, I had made a makeshift tent on the back of my truck.

Y/n had changed shakily before climbing into the sleeping bag, I sat on the edge of the truck, keeping watch, Shane had wanted to double the people around the camp so I sat on the back of the truck.

Occasionally I'd look back when I heard her stir, she was whimpering and shedding tears in her sleep, most likely nightmares.

Morning took ages to roll around, and when it did, we got straight to work, I left Y/n to sleep though, she needed it.

Andrea hadn't moved away from Amy all night, girl was a ticking time bomb. Shane stormed up to me, an annoyed look on her face.

"Where's Y/n, I ain't seen her" He said accusingly, I looked him up and down.

"Let the damn girl sleep, she's seen enough" I told him, getting face to face, he glared at me before stepping down.

We went up to the group and started ploughing the tips of pickaxes into the heads of the dead.

Shane had disappeared and came back, giving me a glare, and in a minute or two I knew why, Y/n slugged out, she was dressed in shorts and a baggy shirt and her hair had been brushed, she yawned proving she had just woken up.

Y/n still looked extremely tired and even though she tried to scrub it off with a washcloth, she didn't have time to remove all the blood from her, it was etched into her skin almost.

She grabbed the legs of one of the walkers and picked it up, T-dog going for the shoulders, they shimmied it over to the fire before chucking it in.

"Hey, me and Y/n are going to check the perimeter again, string up some more cans" I called out to Rick, he nodded.

"Go for it, but be careful please" Rick told us, it was weird seeing people this protective over Y/n, it was weird seeing her with the people she grew up with.

"Hey, Y/n, you wanna help?" I asked her grabbing some empty cans and string, she nodded, finishing her conversation with Glenn, I took her into the woods, farther than needed but it wouldn't hurt to have alarms here.

"So what did you need?" She asked, I passed her the string.

"I'll poke hole you thread" I told her, she sat down cross legged on the floor, leaning against a tree, I did the same, chucking her the cans one I was done, she threaded them so they would clash and make noise if something brushed against them.

"Did Shane wake ya up?" I asked her, curious if it was a coincidence or whether he was just a shit brother.

"Yeah, he said you asked him too because you needed to talk to me, I was going to but I got distracted helping T-dog, sorry" She apologised, huh, so he was just a shit brother, good to know, and he blamed it on me, I felt slightly bad so I made something up.

"Y-Yeah, I couldn't remember, but you're a size 8-10 for shirts aren't you?" I stuttered suddenly thinking of something, she nodded "One of the ladies at the camp was aking, she brought one of her daughters shirts by accident, she thought it would fit you" I explained, I already had the shirt as I already knew it would fit her, but Shane being a shitty brother, I knew I had to make the excuse.

"Oh, thanks" She gave me a bright smile before remembering something, she reached to her belt pulling out a knife. "Here, thank you" She said returning the knife I gave her, before I had chance to tell her she could keep it, yelling interrupted us

"Y/N!" The stern voice of Shane walsh yelled for his sister, her face dropped "Y/N WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU" She scurried up, something falling out of her pocket.

"Shit, I shouldn't be out here" She whispered to me "Sorry, I gotta run" She gave me a tight smile and I nodded before she ran off in the direction of the yelling.

I stood up, walking over to the object that dropped out of her pocket, looking at it, it was a medium sized heart shaped locket, big enough to fit a picture containing two people.

I opened it up and my eyes stared at the picture inside.

It was me and King.

It was the picture I sent her when he fell asleep on my chest while she was on night shift, I sent it to her to make her jealous.

I also noticed that I had no shirt on seeing as it had been a warm summer's evening and her house was always a furnace for some reason.

I started realising where I'd seen this locket as it came into my memory more and more.

She was wearing it when we evacuated, she was wearing it when I saved her from the walker, she was wearing it when she went to sleep, but I never saw her wearing it around Shane.

I wonder why.

I'll ask her when I give it back.