Feeling self-conscious all of a sudden, I retracted my arm, but he was quick to pull me back. "Don't. You're beautiful, Ash. Even if Lucine left you unrecognizable, you still would've brought me to my knees."

"She knew," I whispered, "She had to."

"What are you talking about?"

"Lucine," I specified, "She had to know even if we did win, if we survived, we'd never completely be free of her curse. These scars are her mark, her way of reminding us that she won."

"But she didn't." Rheon cupped my face so I could meet his eyes. "She's dead, the curse is broken; all thanks to you." When I didn't cheer up at the notion right away, he added with a tiny smile, "I found the werewolves in the garage, plus the barbeque trail on the front lawn. Remind me never to piss you off."

I scrunched my face. "Don't remind me. That was the worst thing I ever did." Those burnt-out eye sockets will forever haunt my dreams and I'll never forget the smell of burnt flesh for as long as I live.

"And I hope you'll never have to do it again." His thumbs brushed over the apples of my cheeks, and I leaned further into his touch. "You have no idea what it's been like when Kenna burst through the doors of the ballroom, claiming Lucine had taken you and Clemmy. I was beside myself with rage. It took six men to keep me from shifting."

My imagination came to life as I pictured six men with supernatural strength keeping only one from going feral. I knew Rheon was strong, I just never realized how strong he was until I saw him on the battlefield. Not only did he protect me from four werewolves on his own, but his mere gaze was also enough to force them to submission. The pack of rogue wolves outside the castle was proof of that.

After the battle, the Bloodrose pack tracked down the wolves that fled and disposed of them permanently. However, there were some who yielded, who swore themselves to Rheon if they were allowed to live.

"That's what Bloodrose is good at," Emric told me that night, "Tracking and killing."

The problem was without Lucine, the wolves who submitted were leaderless, which made them rogue omegas. No one knew what to do with them. They couldn't be left to roam freely either as some of them were newly turned and still struggled with control. Only after a brief meeting between the alphas of each pack, it was decided that each would take a few omegas with them to their land to add to their numbers.

Not liking the somberness that settled in the air between us, I decided to change the topic. We just won a battle, everyone we cared about was alive, we should be celebrating rather than lingering on the aftermath.

Running my hands down Rheon's chest, I pulled him closer by his blazer until our noses brushed. "I just realized I never wished you a happy birthday at the ball." Leaning in, I captured his lips in a searing kiss. My hands found their way to his hair, tugging at the roots while he was exploring my body with his. He moaned when I nipped his bottom lip, his hands squeezing my waist appreciatively. I pulled back just enough to breathe against his mouth, "Happy birthday."

"Definitely worth the wait." He grinned.

"I also got you something." It took every bit of self-control not to smile or give away any hints. "But you'll have to wait until all the guests have left to see it."

"Oh, is that how it's going to be." His eyes gleamed mischievously, causing me to giggle.

"Yes, that's how it's going to be. Now help me up, we should be heading downstairs to see them off."

"You're starting to sound like the lady of the castle."

My heart fluttered at the pride in his eyes. Tilting my chin up with a cheeky grin, I linked my arm with his and he escorted us downstairs.