The Empty House

The young woman, Sophie, had been excited to move into her own place

The young woman, Sophie, had been excited to move into her own place. She had rented the quaint little house adjacent to the abandoned one, and despite the warnings from the landlord about the neighboring property being haunted, she laughed it off. How silly, she thought, that people still believed in ghosts.

On her first night, she went to bed early exhausted from the move, but as soon as she closed her eyes, she was jolted awake by strange scratching noises. Sophie sat up in bed, confused, until she heard it again. It sounded like it was coming from the wall that separated her house from the abandoned one next door.

She reached for her phone and dialed her landlords' number. "Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews? This is Sophie, the new tenant next door. I'm sorry to bother you but I think there might be someone in the empty house next door."

The scratching noise became louder, and now Sophie could hear something moving around on the other side of the wall. She shuddered, wrapping herself in a blanket.

"Dear, it's not safe over there," Mrs. Matthews said in a trembling voice. "You need to call the police right now."

Sophie did as she was told, but the police found nothing, and every night the scratching returned.

Days passed, and Sophie grew more and more uneasy. She dreaded the nights when the scratching became louder, the footsteps clearer, and the breathing heavier. But she still refused to believe in ghosts.

Late one evening, Sophie heard the scratching again. She stood up from her bed and looked out her window. The garden next door was overgrown with weeds, but in the pale moonlight, she saw a dark figure standing in it. The figure was staring at her. Sophie gasped and pulled away from the window but couldn't keep her gaze off the figure. She could feel it watching her, feel its malicious intent.

Sophie knew then that the landlord had been right. The house was haunted, and the ghost was watching her. She was paralyzed with fear, unable to make a sound.

From then on, she never spent a night alone in her house, always scared of the disturbing noises she heard and the figure she could see staring at her from the garden.