No You Don't

"I like you, Albie. I mean like like you."

It was said so simply and matter-of-factly as if that one sentence hadn't blown up Albus' whole life. He stared blankly at his best friend, Scorpius, who was staring intently at the ground and twiddling his thumbs as he bit his lower lip. His soft, white-blonde hair fell over his thin face, covering the blushing mess he had become. For the first time in a while, he looked truly vulnerable. Albus couldn't stop staring.

What felt like hours later, he finally spoke. "No you don't."

Tears stung in Scorpius' eyes. He didn't dare raise his head. Instead he responded sorrowfully, "I'm really sorry. We can pretend I don't. We can pretended this never happened. I'm sorry. I know you don't want that. I didn't-"

"No, no, no. That's not what I meant," Albus interjected, waving his hands wildly in the air. "What I meant was you, Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy, don't like me. You like Rose."

His best friend's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "No I don't. I like you."

"Scorp, you're not listening," Albus sighed and shook his head, sagging down on the bed. Scorpius didn't dare meet the fellow Slytherin's eyes as he perched beside him, stiff and with an impossibly straight back.

Albus continued with what sounded like a pang of jealously in his voice. "You've been head over heels for my cousin since day one. You're desperately in love with her."

"I'm desperately in love with you, Albus Severus Potter."

"Merlin, Scorp! I wish that were true but it's not. I swear."

Scorpius' frown deepened. He clasped his hands in his lap and bit down harder on his lip, almost drawing blood. Albus meanwhile was studying his best friend. He spent rather a lot of time looking at Scorpius. With the sunlight streaming across his face and his familiar expression that he wore when solving a difficult problem with his brow furrowed and his nose scrunched up, he looked so Scorpius-y and beautiful that Albus' breath caught in his throat. However, he couldn't believe what he was being told. Everybody knew that Scorpius had a gigantic crush on the eldest of the Granger-Weasley siblings. It was a fact about Scorpius. He was an adorable nerd, he went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and he had an unrequited crush on Rose Granger-Weasley.

"I don't like Rose," the boy insisted with a firmer tone now. "I haven't liked Rose for years, or ever really. I just thought I did. I'm gay."

"But you spend all your time with her!" Albus countered. Admitting it made him feel like he was going to be sick. An image of Scorpius kissing Rose appeared in his head and his blanched. He imagined that far too often. He preferred to imagine himself kissing Scorpius. But not like this. His best friend didn't like him. This was a prank or a spell or a love potion. Why would anybody love Albus Potter?

"Yeah, Albie, because she was the one who flat out told me I wanted to be with you and has been helping me work up the courage to talk to you ever since!" Stormy, indignant and determined grey eyes met unsure and doubtful green ones. "So do you want to date me or not?"

Albus shook his head again in disbelief and placed his hands on Scorpius' shoulders, shaking him gently.

"I think we need to take you to see Madam Pomfrey," he stated slowly. "I'm sure she can fix whatever's happened to you and I can go back to my peaceful life of squashing my feelings so that you can live happily ever after with Rose."

Scorpius rolled his eyes and leant forward, kissing Albus hard on the mouth. Albus made a startled noise and hesitated for a second before kissing back. With every passing second, he grew more sure of himself. He felt Scorpius' hands squeezing his hips and travelling up and down his back and grazing bare skin under his shirt, making him shiver. He wrapped his arms around Scorpius' neck, one hand knotting his hair. They kissed and kissed and kissed until they decided that they needed to breathe. The boys pulled apart, panting.

Scorpius turned his head to look at Albus, admiring the breathless boy with a pink face and swollen lips.

"Believe me now?"

Albus thought for a second. "Not really but I'm gonna shut up and enjoy it."

Scorpius laughed and pulled him in again.