ChapterTwentyNine: Victim

"You are beautiful."

She truly was. Evie smiled at Chasen who was standing next to her. Her head reaching his chin when wearing heels, which for once didn't hurt her feet.

She didn't want to throw them away.

She wanted to dance in them the entire night with her mystery man.

A guard stared straight into her eyes as they stepped into the great hall.

And oh god how great it truly was.

Evie had always thought that she knew what living with money was. She thought she knew what being filthy rich was.

Never in her life had she been so wrong.

The golden pilars that reached the ceiling were mocking her, her father.

A thought crossed her mind. Had her mother once walked the same stairs to attend a similiar ball. Had she been amazed by the golden roof over them? Or had all of it been familiar to her since she was born here?

"A glass of champagne?" A tall bony man asked as he stopped in front of them.

"Thank you," Evie said and took the glass. It was heavier than she had expected. Chasen didn't take one.

Evie raised her eyebrow behind her mask. Chasen touched his chest pocket that was sewn to the linen of his black suit. They were there to work not enjoy the feast.

Evie lifted the glass to her red lips and took a sip. A mix of every fruit she had ever known exploded in her mouth.

She took another gulp. Savoring every moment before putting the glass down. As quickly as the glass touched a table, a servant rushed in and took it away.

"What's your plan?" She whispered. Even though Chasen had for once taken her with him, he hadn't told her anything. Or rather almost nothing.

She knew that he was here to kill someone.

Evie looked around the room. The women were dressed in the most extravagant dresses from every shade of the rainbow. A tall woman dressed as a siren caught her attention. She was dressed in light blue dress that darkened towards the hem. Her face was covered with a porclean mask that had a face painted on it.

"You don't need to worry about it." Chasen's voice made her focus on the moment.

Evie wanted to smack him.

He must have felt her changed mood. "First we enjoy the night."

Evie slipped her hand through his. "I thought you never enjoyed anything while working."

"Then you wouldn't be here."

Evie was about to ask what he meant by that when the music started to play. She waited for him to ask her to dance.

He didn't.

Instead he watched around them. At every single guest who walked in. A part of her wondered who the victim was. If they were someone important. And more importantly if it was someone who knew her mother.

Chasen pulled her to the side of the room. "Can we dance?" She asked. A new song had started to play.

"You see that man?" He lowered his voice and nodded to the direction of a dark haired middle aged man. Evie stared at him before slowly nodding.

"Go to him."

"Ye- What?!" Evie asked in shock. The man laughed at something and put his glass of champagne to a side table. "I can't do that."

She couldn't.

Evie could already feel her heart beat fastening.

Chasen leaned against a wall. "I thought you wanted to be a part of my business. You begged me to teach you, if I remember correctly."