ChapterSeventeen: Numb

Evie sat on the ground looking outside through a dirty window, she should ask someone to clean it. She should ask one of the servants to give her food as well, her tummy was hurting.

She blinked trying to ease the pain from her swollen eyes. 

She should stand up and go find her father, she was missing him dearly. She wanted to be embraced by his warm and comforting arms. He needed to tell her that everything was going to be okay. 

She was breathing, living, so why did it feel like she was dead inside. Evie blinked again, one of the only physical signs showing that she was actually a living creature. 

Could she be alive when her heart had been left to bleed?

It must have been a mistake, she must have died.

Because she was now empty, numb, lifeless. The light that has once shined in her eyes was gone.

Perhaps all of this had only been a dream and soon she would be waken in her own soft bed. One of the servants would make her bed as another would brush her long hair into an updo. She might ask them to braid it instead this time. 

Only her aching heart told her the truth, this wasn't a dream. She wasn't dead even if a part of her dreamed of it. She should have cut her wrists when she still had the knife she had found on the floor. 

Evie had almost managed to cut her skin before he appeared and ripped it away from her. He had taken it and thrown it across the room.

He shouldn't have done that. 

He should have allowed her to leave. 

Because she remembered.

Evie remembered the reason she was wearing the red dress that didn't belong to her. She recalled the reason why her head had been hurting and her tummy was bruised. 

She didn't want to remember it, her calling him sunshine. Because he wasn't sunshine even when once upon a time he had been her sun. The only reason she had the power to rise from the bed, only for the hope of seeing him again. Only now had she realized that he wasn't a sun, nothing about him could bring light and warmness into the world, he only brought gloom and pain. He truly was a mystery, a mystery that would have been better to leave unrevealed. 

Because she regretted everything, every little choice that she had made that had made her end sitting on the hard floor. 

She shouldn't have ran away two years ago. She shouldn't have tried to change her fate. She should have crossed her ankles while sitting and married the man her father had chosen for her.  

Evie blinked once more trying to ease the burning in her eyes. 

She had wanted to yell at him, curse at him trying to understand the reason why. But she hadn't done that, she had only stared at him. 

Why would anyone want to kill her?

There was nothing to benefit from her death. 

It had been a cruel twist from fate. Her own mystery man was also the person who should have killed her, the one to twist a knife into her heart. Which was the reason why she couldn't understand why he had saved her. Why he had ripped the knife away from her hand with frenzy in his eyes. Why had he hurt her in the process of doing it.

Evie let out a sob.

She could feel his eyes on her back. 

She had been ignoring him for a while now. Not that Chasen would have made the effort to ignite a conversation either. But she could feel him looking at her every time she moved a little or made a sound.