ChapterEight: Children of the Street

Ever since Evie had been a little child she had known that her life was different when compared to others. She knew in her heart that not all children had the opportunity to eat every delight they had ever wanted. She had known even if she had never seen it.

Perhaps it was because of the books she had liked to read, all the fairytales where a poor girl married their prince charming. After marriage all their problems would vanish and the girl would never have to go through hunger and desperation ever again.

Those tales had and will always have a special place in her heart.

But now as she stared at the dirty streets with children covered with dirt and thin clothes begging for food her heart broke into thousands of little pieces.

She had known that there was misery in their world.

She had known that not all were as lucky as her.

But she had never seen it and nothing that she had ever imagined could have told her the rough truth.

"Stay here," Chasen muttered and left her standing alone as he walked into one of the brick buildings.

Perhaps she should have followed him but she couldn't. All she could do was to stare at the children on the streets. Where were their parents and families? How could they abandon their children like this?

Her father hadn't been perfect. But he had never allowed her to be hungry or cold. Evie remembered a night when she had been a little girl and had caught a bad flu. Her father had stayed by her side the entire night and made sure the fire was on. He had even ordered some servants to make her warm soup so that her body would stay healthy.

Evie looked as people passed the children by without even giving them a second look. She watched as the children tried to get their attention without succeeding.

She looked at her own attire.

She was still wearing her engagement gown. Although the fabric was now filled with wrinkles and the hem with dirt from sleeping on the ground and walking in muddy forest for the past couple of days.

Evie hadn't seen any of her father's men since the first time. A part of her was scared that by any given moment they would appear and take her back. Another part was telling her that she was being ridiculous. They couldn't find her. Even she couldn't find her if she would have wanted, she had no idea where she currently was.

Chasen had said that he had something he needed to do in this town.

He hadn't even mentioned the name of the town to her.

Not that Evie would have done much with the information.

Without thinking twice she left the corner Chasen had told her to stay and walked towards the children. There must have been something she could do to them. Something to make them suffer so much.

"Hi," she said slowly as she reached them.

The children turned to look at her and then at each other before smiling at her. "Hey lady, what a nice dress you have."

Evie blinked. She had not been expecting that.

"Oh thank you." She looked at the children again now from closer. "I was wondering if you needed something? You look terribly thin and cold."

One of the children shed few tears as the others looked at her sadly. And then they started to explain her about their orphanage that was in troubles. How they couldn't afford to buy food or better clothes anymore and how they needed to beg on the streets to be able to live. When she had asked if there was something she could do to them again the children smiled and wiped away their tears.