ChapterSix: Him

For few second there was only the two of them. The voices and people surrounding them blurred as their eyes met. 

Evie stared at him, her mystery man, as he stood in the end of the hallway. Something in her shifted at that moment. Every wish and tear that had left her eye during the past two years didn't feel like a waste of time. They had told her not to forget him. They had told her that there was a reason they had met on the night she had ran away.

She knew what people would think of her if they knew she had been daydreaming of a man that she had only met once and spoken a couple of times. 

They would think she was crazy and it was just a stupid teenage crush. 

That she had been just wasting her time. 

Even sometimes Evie had wondered if it truly was the truth. That she had truly lost her mind and should move on and forget everything about him. Was everything she thought had happened between them just a figment of her imagination.

But she hadn't forgotten about him. 

How could she forgot him? Since the first moment they had met her heart had known that there was something between the two of them. Like their hearts had made a promise to each other the moment he helped her off the ground.

And then he broke the eye contact and turned to walk away. 

Evie's heart stopped from panic. 

"No," she whispered. 

She couldn't lose him.

Not again.

Not when for the first time in a long long time the air around her didn't feel toxic to her lungs.

Not when for the first time in a long long time her life felt like it was worth living it and not give up.

"Stop!" She yelled and started to move after him.

He didn't stop.

Evie tried to run but her shoes were making it hard if not impossible. She lifted the hems of her skirt little if it would help little. "Wait, please!" 

Something in him pulled her in. Like something in him had lassoed her and was pulling her towards him. Evie didn't know what kind of magic it was but for once in her life she decided to listen her heart. 

She quickened her pace and if her eyes weren't lying to her so was he. His steps became longer as he walked deeper into the darkness of the hallway. 

Evie kicked her shoes off and ran after him. She ran as fast as her legs could carry her and when she reached him she grabbed his hand and stopped. 

His muscles tensed under her touch. It was almost as if time had frozen around them. Evie breathed heavily as her stomach stung from the running. She could feel him looking at her. 

"Hi," she whispered and turned to look into his cold dark eyes. 

No answer.

An unknown emotion flashed in his eyes before disappearing. The man looked away from her before trying to rip his arm away from her. 

A wave of disappointment filled her. 

"No, wait."

He finally managed to rip his arm away from her. At that moment Evie's heart shrunk. Had it all been in her head? But why had he been staring at her then when they met only a minutes earlier?

He didn't wait but instead started to walk away from her. 

Evie closed the distance between them again and grabbed his arm even tighter this time. She wasn't going to let him go. This time he didn't stop moving but kept going dragging Evie along. Her bare feet hit the tiles making her wince but she didn't let go of him.