You better feel terrible

You and the boys had planned a surprise birthday gathering for Jungkook. Honestly, you were nervous. You couldn't bear to lie to your boyfriend, all you wanted to do was wake him up with kisses and wishing him a happy birthday. But you tried to tell yourself that the look on his face when he found you and the guys surprising him will be worth it.

Jungkook actually had a day off, but to set the plan in motion, you were going to receive a 'call' from Namjoon that he had to go in to work in the studio. So while your boyfriend was happily sleeping in bed, you were waiting in the living room for Namjoon's text. You heard the soft vibration of your phone and looked at the few words displayed on the screen.

Namjoon: 'Let's get this party started!'

You admired his optimism, but your heart was pounding hard.

Walking into the bedroom, you saw Jungkook sprawled on the bed, lying on his bare front. Approaching the bed and sitting on the edge, you glided your palm up his back, massaging his shoulder to calmly wake him up.

"Jungkook," you softly called his name.

He stirred at the sound of your voice, turning his head towards you, his hair a wavy but perfect mess.

"Hey sleepyhead," you cooed at his doe eyes peeking through heavy and tired eyelids.

A light bunny smile made its way onto his face, probably waiting for birthday kisses, which made you feel all the more guilty, so you spoke as fast as you could.

"Um, Namjoon called you into the studio today, I'm not sure why, so get ready ok?" you said, patting his bum.

You approached the door and stopped when you heard his groggy voice.

"Wait."

"Come on, Jungkook, chop chop," you interjected, slipping out the bedroom as quick as possible.

Jungkook was left sitting there confused and a little disappointed. Of course, when you get older, birthdays get less and less exciting. But what he does enjoy is celebrating his birthday with great friends and his partner in life. So he couldn't help but feel his excited mood deflate when he didn't hear a word of his birthday from you.

On the other side of the door, you felt terrible. But you pushed by it, hoping the surprise will be worth it.

"So, um," Jungkook spoke while he stood at the door, looking at you hopefully, "I'll see you later?"

You looked back at him, as much obliviousness on your face as possible. "Yeah see you later," you replied, looking back at your phone.

You heard him sigh, then walk out the door, putting a hand to your chest the moment the door closed.

About 30 minutes later, Tae picked you up from your home, the cake already secure in the back of the car.

"How has he been?" you asked.

"I haven't been in yet but Jimin told me that he's a bit down," Tae replied.

At that you groaned, pushing your face into your palms. "I knew this was a bad idea!"

Tae giggled at your muffled whining and ruffled your hair with one hand. "Don't worry! It will be worth it."

"I hope you're right."

-

Both arriving at the Bighit building, you now had to go in without Jungkook knowing. You chose to hold the cake and you and Tae both walked in, making quiet small talk. The both of you had actually successfully made it to the designated floor, your eyes on the practice room at the end of the corridor—soon you'll be able to kiss your boyfriend and wish him a happy birthday as much as you wanted. But of course, it was going too smoothly. One of the studio doors, presumably Namjoon's, opened, you heard one of the voices you recognised all too well, and your eyes went wide. While you shuffled on your feet from panic, Taehyung pushed you into what he thought was an empty room, hastily leaning against the wall to 'act natural'. Jungkook took a step out of the studio, his eyebrows furrowing at Tae, he wasn't supposed to be coming to the studio apparently—well, none of them were but here he was.

"Hyung? What are you doing here?"

"Oh, just," he paused, "waiting for Jimin. I'm supposed to meet him here."

"By the toilets?"

Tae furrowed his brows before looking up above the doorway to the room that he shoved you in, and noticed the sign.

Looking back at Jungkook he said, "No."

They stood in silence for a moment before Jungkook pointed in the studio.

"He's in here with me and Namjoon-hyung."

Tae's mouth opened in an attempt to cover up his slip up until Jimin popped his head out.

"Tae, I said I was going to...meet you in the practice room," Jimin said, emphasising the last two words with a nod of his head.

"Oh yeah, sorry man," Tae feigned realisation, still standing in his spot while Jimin pulled a confused Jungkook back into the studio.

Tae pushed the toilet door a little and motioned you out. You proceeded with a ticked off expression, glaring at Taehyung, but he shrugged. You both rushed past the studio into the practice at the end of the corridor. You walked in finding Yoongi, Jin and Hoseok setting up the room with birthday decorations which instantly made you smile.

"Oh it looks amazing guys!" you exclaimed while the guys smiled back in response.

All of you had set up and had even ordered take away ready for when Jungkook came in. So a few minutes later, the five of you were waiting in a line for the others to join. You fidgeted with your fingers when you heard the familiar voices getting louder the closer they got. The squeak of the door alerted you and you all waited for Jungkook's reaction. Your shoulders tensed up when you saw him face change from confusion, to realisation and surprise, until he broke out into contagious laughter. Everyone shouted and cheered, the boys crowding round him and giving him birthday bumps whilst you watched, smiling adoringly at the family in front of you. Soon, the rubble dispersed and a happy, and maybe slightly bruised Jungkook walked towards you with a cheeky smile, his tongue poking the inside of his cheek.

"Surprise," you giggled as he wrapped his arms around you.

"You lied to me," he whined into your shoulder.

"I know I feel terrible," you whined back, squeezing him in your arms for any kind of reconciliation.

He pulled away a little, looking down at you with a serious expression.

"You better feel terrible," he pouted.

"Come on lovebirds, food is here!" Jimin shouted.

You quickly kissed the pout off Jungkook's lips and joined the rest of the boys, pulling him by the hand.

You were thankful that the small surprise was totally worth it. Spending time altogether, which was rare, with amazing food and company was the best.

Jungkook would often make you feel guilty, bringing up this morning and your lies with a pout and a childish shrug off his shoulders. But it was all a ruse to give him your undivided attention — which you didn't mind at all.