twelve.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

SEASON TWO — CHAPTER SEVEN
"Close your eyes."

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

To say Glenn was nervous was an understatement. He wanted to be the one to tell the entire group that there were walkers in the barn, considering he was the one that discovered them. He just didn't expect it to be so difficult.

"Glenn, breathe." Alex reminded, pressing a hand against his back. She could see the anxiousness in his eyes as their friends gathered around their camp, peacefully eating breakfast. Glenn nodded, letting out a shaky breath. He glanced at the baby in her arms, smiling at her encouragement. "Just like we practiced, okay?"

He nodded.

Standing on her porch, Maggie glared at Glenn, silently cautioning him not to divulge the secret to everyone. Inside the barn were her family members and neighbors, people she cared for. She didn't want to see them as the monsters they were now. She didn't want to admit to herself that they were just a shell of people she used to know.

"Guys." Glenn declared after running a hand over his face and contemplating their individual reactions. He knew who would find the barn stocked with walkers most unnerving — Shane. "So... The barn is full of walkers."

That one sentence prompted everyone to freeze and meet his eyes. Breakfast became the last thing on their minds, concern raising as they processed the grave threat that had been lingering right under their noses.

"How was that?" Glenn asked.

Alex nodded approvingly. "I think they got the message."

✧︎

Standing in front of the barn, Alex held Katherine close as Shane peeked through a crack in the wall. Glenn was proven right when the entire group overheard the snarling and movement inside.

Restless, Shane backed away, removing his hat. "You can't tell me you're alright with this," he uttered, looking at Rick. Carl stayed close to his mother, wondering what his father would do, while Glenn stayed close to Alexandra, his hand resting on her back.

"No, I'm not, but we're guests. This isn't our land." Rick stated. Although the sinister barn left everyone unconvinced, he knew if he confronted Hershel about it, they would ask him to leave the farm. With the baby Lori was carrying, Rick couldn't allow that. He needed his family safe. The farm gave them access to food, land, and medical care. Much more than they would ever get out on the road.

"Come on, man, this is our lives!" Shane exclaimed.

Lori urged, "Lower your voice."

Andrea said, "We can't just sweep this under the rug."