two.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

SEASON ONE — CHAPTER TWO
"Well, if you're going to stay out here, so will I."

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Rick hadn't said a single word the entire drive. Being a cop meant he protected people, but he hadn't done that with Merle. Detecting the regret in the cop's features, Morales said, "Best not to dwell on it. He got left behind. No one is going to be sad he didn't come back, except maybe Daryl."

"Daryl?" Rick asked.

"His brother," Morales answered.

Alex was about to shut her eyes to get some sleep before getting back to camp, but the vociferous car alarm emerged again. It annoyed her until she heard Glenn's enthusiastic cheers. To her, his exhilaration was infectious, prompting her to grin.

Morales smiled. "At least somebody is having a good day."

✧︎

The moment the truck was parked, Alexandra didn't hesitate to depart it, searching the group for certain individuals. She smiled widely at the sight of Glenn holding Katherine, who seemed to look for Alex too.

Smiling uncontrollably, Alex rushed toward them, relieved to see Katherine in one piece. Glenn said, "She missed you." It was true. Katherine was extending her hands out, wanting to be in Alex's embrace.

"Hi, sweetheart," Alex whispered, gently pulling the girl into her arms. Her voice softened. She peppered the toddler's face with kisses, struggling not to squeeze too tight. Katherine giggled. With her in her arms, she momentarily forgot about the fucked up world they lived in. "I missed you so much."

Resting her head on Alex's chest, Katherine gripped her shirt, almost as if she were afraid Alex would disappear. If someone compared the two versions of Alex — the cruel version and the version she was when around Kat or Glenn — they would believe they were two completely different people.

"Nice car," she mentioned to Glenn, spotting the vehicle parked while Andrea and Amy reunited.

Proud, he declared, "It is pretty great, isn't it?"

"Can I drive it?" Alex asked, eyes wide with hope. There was one thing she wasn't good at, driving. Well, she could. It just wasn't pretty.

"In your dreams." Glenn chuckled.

"Asshole," Alex muttered.

Glenn retorted, "Bitch."

Snapping back to reality, Alex heard Shane ask, "How'd y'all get out of there anyway?"

"New guy. He got us out." Glenn answered.

"New guy?" Shane asked.

"Yeah, crazy vato just got into town," Morales said, keeping his family close to him. His wife and kids were clinging onto him, thankful to have him back. "Hey, helicopter boy, come say hello!"