Chapter XIII: Behind the Wheel

The smell of dirt and apples is ever present as Sunset and I walk down the road. Nothing but the trees surround us, reminding me just how far away by foot the Apple Family farm is. We could have taken the motorcycle, but the engine wouldn't start today. I was willing to just sleep in, but Sunset promised that we could get ice cream on our way back home. It's funny that she thought that was a bribe. It's not the ice cream I'm tempted by. It's the thought of her smile when she gets ice cream...

"If I knew the motorcycle wasn't going to start, I would have set an alarm for earlier in the morning," Sunset tells me cheerfully, nudging me with her shoulder.

"I wouldn't have. I would have just slept on you some more," I tease her with a roll of my eyes, chuckling at her statement. Honestly, I expect to hear Sunset giggle along with me, but I don't hear it at all. Did I say a bad joke...? Raising my eyebrow, I look to my right. Within an instant, something is pressed against my lips, making my cheeks flush and my eyes open wider. Sunset pushes her mouth against mine with seemingly no shame at all, making my heart beat faster. My face feels so hot from just one action... Pulling away, Sunset gives me a cheeky smile, owning up to her kiss. I... I... "W-what was that for?" I barely ask, still trying to calm my nerves from the sudden embrace. That was quite the surprise...

"I just wanted to~" she tells me with a wink, grabbing my hand in hers. Honestly, I should have her figured out by now. She and I have been an item for a couple of years, but even now, her mysterious behavior is so hard to predict. She's so hard to pin down and I can't help but love that about her. That lively attitude with a new plan every day... It's that same attitude I will probably rely on the most when it comes to this trip.

"Sunset?" I ask her quietly, looking ahead of us down the empty road. I can see Sunset's gaze turn to me from my peripheral vision, but I keep my eyes forward. Without me even realizing it, my hand wandered up to my scarf, making me wonder how often that happens. This purple scarf has always been here with me, even when Sunset and I are separated. I guess it makes sense why it means so much to me... "You... don't have to come with me, you know," I tell her quietly, only the sounds of birds and our footsteps accompanying my words.

Sunset doesn't say anything for a moment, looking down the road with a slight shrug. "It's been a while since I have gone to the Apple Family farm. I don't really see the harm in it," she tells me with a chuckle, her hand still holding onto my own. For a second, I can't help but find her misunderstanding humorous, looking at her with a small smile. However, my smile disappears just as quickly as it appeared.

"No, that's not what I meant... I meant this whole trip. The whole goal is to find Aria and Sonata so I can finally apologize to them. Now that I know where they roughly are, you... don't have to come along if you don't want to." Her expression slowly turns to a more solemn one as she nods to my statement, seemingly thinking it over. The last thing I want to do is to make her upset or sad. I guess the only reason I was thinking of that is because... I don't want to inconvenience her. I hope this trip doesn't inconvenience her in any way...

"Adagio," She says quietly, looking over to me with a kind yet serious expression. She stops us in the middle of the road, making sure I give her my full attention. "When I said I'm here for you no matter what, I meant it. I will always support you. This is a big step for you, Alligator," she tells me with an emphasis on the last part, holding my hands up to chest height. "And I will be here to hold your hand in this step and every one after it. So, yes. I want to come with you." Sunset's eyes have an overwhelming sense of truth behind them, giving me a beautiful smile of sincerity. When Sunset looks like this, it is hard to ignore her. It is so hard to not let her influence my thoughts.