A Few Steps Forward

Taking a deep breath, I heave the box inside the door, trying my best to not fall on my way inside. The hot summer air doesn't make it any easier to actually move these things around, but at least it's better than pushing a chair through ice. I know that pain all too well. There's no ice to mess with the moving process this time. Instead, it's just some unbearable heat... Why did there have to be so many boxes?

Setting the box down on the ground, I can't help but look around the empty living room, amazed at how much bigger it feels compared to our last living room. It's almost unbelievable... How can I believe that I'm actually standing here, moving into a house that Sunset and I both own. It was a big risk to buy this place with some of our savings, but it's turned out to be one of the best decisions we've made. Seeing Sunset's smile of pure joy that I agreed to buy this house was worth it alone. Settling down was never in my mind as a viable option unless it was in terms of a castle on top of Equestria's tallest mountain. Now, I can't be happier, settling down with the love of my life inside a home we will make our own.

"Well, the bed is fully set up~" Sunset's cheerful voice tells me with a smile, walking down the stairs with slightly messy hair. The stairs lead right into the living room with the kitchen to the left of the stairs as a separate room towards the back of the house. To the right of the stairs, there's a laundry room that leads into the rather spacious garage for a house of this size. A little bit of sweat on her forehead can be seen from the reflection of the overhead light. Her eyes look around the living room before looking towards me with a smile. "Almost done with the boxes, huh?" She and I were both unloading boxes until she decided to set up our bed, telling me that she didn't want to unload everything from the truck just in case our bed didn't fit in the bedroom.

"Did the bed fit like you wanted it to?" I ask in a teasing tone, causing the love of my life to stick her tongue out at me as a response.

"Yes, it did~ It is even more spacious than our last bedroom if you can believe it." Sunset gently moves around the boxes, walking over to me and wrapping her arms around my waist. "Though, there's still some more work to do, so we can't exactly rest on it just yet." Sunset gives me a wink before pressing her lips against my own, taking a small moment to just breathe before we get back to work. I can't help but feel a little grateful that we only have a few more boxes to bring inside. It's due to our small apartment's size that we only had a few things to move here, but it's still annoying to move all the heavy things.

"Then I expect a lot of cuddles after this, fiancé of mine~" I tease the fiery-haired woman in my arms, admiring her unpredictable nature. Sunset giggles to my statement, both of us finally breaking our embrace. Walking over to the front door, Sunset looks back at me with a smile, the light of the day behind her.

"That's funny. I expect the exact same~"

Chapter I: A Few Steps Forward

The bell of our door rings just as I finish placing the final plate on the table. Most of the rooms in our house still seem a little empty, but that's because we didn't have a lot to move here to begin with. Hopefully, this will work out. It's a modest little set up, but it's the first dinner in our new home. What can I say? I kind of want it to be perfect... Sunset, taking off her oven mitts, looks to me with a small smirk, nodding her head to the front door.

"I told you that they would be here early~" she reaffirms her last statement, making sure I know that she won the bet. Due to the fact that all our friends are coming here for our house-warming party, I made a small bet with her that Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie will probably make the group late. I guess it turns out that I was wrong. Sunset told me that the opposite is true due to Applejack's strict rules for following a schedule.