TWENTY-TWO

Knox

Lyanna took off.  I pushed her too far.  I regretted what I have done the moment I saw the pain in her eyes.  

She swallowed her pride and admitted how she misses and needs me.  I was the coward one.  I wanted to hold her, kiss her, and make love to her from the moment she recovered from the wound I inflicted.  Instead, I avoided her and made her believe she does not matter anymore.

I pushed her away because I was hurt that she disregarded my wishes and my feelings when she took things on her own hand to save her sister.  I pushed her away because I could not forgive myself for hurting her and endangering our baby.  I tried to displace my wrong doings on her.  

I hold my head with my hands.  What am I trying to achieve?  If only she could understand that the power she held over my life scared me.  By avoiding her, I thought I was getting the control back for myself.  Who am I fooling?  Lyanna and the baby were all I could think of in my alone time. 

The taste of her lips is still in my mouth.  I should not have toyed with her feelings.  I was deep in my self-loathing when a wolf howled in pain.  No!!!! Little bunny!

I shifted to my wolf and ran as if the devil himself is behind me.  Please do not let anything happen to my precious.  Please. Please.

I stopped on my tracks.  I looked around and noticed I am beyond the royal pack grounds.  I sniffed for my mate.  She is close.  I ran some more and my heart almost stopped.

In front of me, few meters away is my naked Lyanna, held at a knife's point by the alpha female of the Hematite Pack.  Twenty warrior wolves are with her.

Upon the release of my parents from the dungeon, they reprimanded me for my actions and warned me of the true enemy.  I spent my time researching and spying on the alpha female.  Her name is Metha and she was the woman in emerald gown eyeing Lyanna during her coronation night.  I found out that my parents were indeed telling the truth.  The alpha female's lust for vengeance is real.

And now, because of my pride, I lost track of my purpose and that is to love and protect my family, my loved ones.  Here, in front of me is my Lyanna, who's life is in real danger again. I shifted to human form.  

"Your fight is with me.  Release my mate."  I commanded.

Knox, I am scared.  Lyanna mind-linked me.

I know, little bunny.  Obey her commands.  Do not irate her.  I will not let her hurt you and our pup.  I will die first.

No, Knox.  I do not want to lose you.  Please be careful.  I love you.  Her tears fell.

Shhhhh, do not cry,  I will save you. Trust me, please. I promised her.

"Your mate will suffer as how Princess Jada suffered,"   Metha threatened.

"She is innocent.  Do your evil deed with me.  I never meant to hurt Princess Jada.  I have suffered in years paying for the consequences of my actions.  You are a woman yourself.  How can you punish an innocent woman for the sins of her mate?"  I tried to reason.

Metha remained determined on her vengeance. She used the knife to slit Lyanna's arm.  Lyanna screamed as blood flowed.  

I growled.  Wrong move, bitch!  My anger fueled my will to kill this alpha female.  I shifted to my wolf and dived at Metha.  Metha slipped his gripped of Lyanna because of the blood.  Lyanna was released from her hold.  Lyanna used her opposite hand to put pressure on her wound.  She nodded her head saying kill her.

I pawed Methas's chest.  She bled.  Six other wolves attacked me at the same time.  I fought hard and tried to keep the fight away from my mate.  I was outnumbered.  I was about to lose hope when Rhett, Vino, Nadia, father, and six more wolves came to my aid.  Nadia secured Lyanna to a safe spot and the others joined in the battle.  My father was attacked by three wolves and was heavily wounded.  Nadia left Lyanna to help my father.  Little by little our enemy's number dwindled.

I chomped at the body of two more wolves but Metha jumped me and clawed my back.  She trapped me with her paws and was ready for the kill when Lyanna's wolf clawed her neck.  Metha was outbalanced and I took the opportunity to go for the kill.  My wolf bit her neck, clung to it until it detached from the body.

It was over.

I scanned the area and saw Lyanna's wolf, my father's injured wolf, and some dead royal guards.  I felt weak and I could not understand.  I thought my wounds were just shallow but it seems I assumed wrongly because now I feel like surrendering to the darkness.  

"Knox, stay with me."  Lyanna pleaded.  "You will be fine, do you hear me?  Help me, please, help me!"  Her panicked voice echoed in the trees.

"Little...b-bunny...,"  I tried to reach her cheek.

The last thing I saw was the tear-stricken face of my Lyanna.