FORTY TWO

Murphy

Home.

After the worst days of my life, I've never been happier to walk through my front door before.

Flowers and balloons cover the entirety of the kitchen and the dining room as a huge welcome home sign hangs in the doorway between the two.

"Welcome home, bear." Harry leans over to press a kiss to my lips as he holds the car seat with a sleeping Brooks nestled tightly inside.

"I love you."

Bringing my hand up to cup his cheek, I smile as I look around the home we've made together.

The last week and a half has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

It was mentally and physically draining.

Harry has been the most attentive person — making sure to not only calm my fears but to be there to listen to every single one of them. For the most part I can't even let Brooks out of my sight because I'm just so afraid something will happen.

I never expected my pregnancy to end the way that it did and there was still so much that I felt like I hadn't processed yet, like losing the ability to have my own children in the future.

That was one thing that ripped a hole in my heart so deep that it felt like it would never be repaired. When I was told by Dr. Roberts, I was so devastated. One of the only things I had ever wanted for myself was my own big family.

My own children to love and nurture.

I wanted to give my own children the secure childhood that I didn't get until I was six years old.

However, when I held Brooks in my arms for the first time? When I held her, it felt like holding the entire world in my arms.

If I never had another child but I got to keep her happy and healthy for a lifetime? I could handle that.

My whole world was split between two people.

The baby that gave my life a new meaning and the man who changed my entire life for the better.

Being back home meant that I was back in my safe place and having the all clear from my doctor made me feel like I could handle anything.

"Want to go check out your new house, nugget?" Harry coos as he takes her out of her car seat, passing her to me and watching as I cradle her in my arms. "What do you say we give her a personal tour?"

Leaning into him for a kiss, I smile. "Come on. Let's go."

We take our time as I move slowly, still recovering from my surgery as we make sure to show her every nook and cranny of the house, saving her bedroom for last.

Walking into the room, I smile at the Winnie the Pooh designs as I lower myself into the oversized rocking chair Harry and I spent so many hours in.

So many hours just daydreaming about what it was going to be like to be parents.

Brooks fusses in my arms as we rock gently. "Are you hungry?" Undoing my top, I lean my head back as she easily attaches herself and greedily eats while we continue to rock in the chair.

Harry moves towards the door, pointing down the ball. "I'll be right back, I forgot something."

"Okayyy..." I answer him, laughing as he rolls his eyes. Brooks and I stay like that as she eats until she falls asleep, her tiny hand still clutching my shirt. "What are you doing?"

"I'm coming right back!"

Rocking Brooks in my arms, I look down and memorize every single feature about her. From her tiny cupids bow to the even tinier birthmark on the apple of her left cheek.

There is not one thing about her that's not perfect.

"Alright, got it." Looking up at Harry as he crosses the room, the first thing he does is drop a kiss to the top of her head. "Momma's turn."

Finding my lips with his, I can't help but sigh into the kiss as he takes his time, bringing his hand up to cup my jaw and slide his tongue gently against mine.

Pulling back, I have to catch my breath. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"I did." Taking my left hand, I watch as Harry opens his closed palm, a delicate gold ring in his palm. "I asked you to marry me the first time you held our daughter and you said yes. Not one part of my question wasn't serious, Murphy. This ring has been in the top of our closet for months now. Whenever you are ready, I'll marry you in an instant. If you want to wait ten years— fifteen years? I'll wait. If you want to get married tomorrow, I'll do it.

"Our family — you and our daughter? That's the only thing that I need. I don't need anything else but the two of you. Being in love with you is the easiest thing that I've ever done. I know this won't always be easy but I want the easy stuff and I want the hard stuff. Every single day for the rest of my life, all I want to do is love you — love Brooks."

I can't help but cry as he slides the simple ring onto my finger, cupping his jaw with one hand and pulling him into me to kiss him as if I'd never be able to kiss him again.

"Yes. The answer is still yes."

Smiling at him and down at our daughter, I'm thankful. So fucking thankful that the things didn't work out for me the way I always thought that they would.

I never through it was possible to feel this way.

Happy with my daughter.

Happy with my fiancé. 

Happy.

_______

🥲

twitter @ niallsgoldhoop

-Alex
🍀

-Alex🍀