SIXTEEN

Murphy

"What are you smiling about?"

Looking up from my phone, Sara eyes me suspiciously over the pizza that sits in between us on the couch.

Tossing my phone onto the couch, I shake my head. "Nothing!"

"Yeah, okay! Give me!" Quicker than I can react, she grabs the phone and leans as far away from me as possible in order to slip out of my grasp at the same time the screen lights up in her hand. "Harry?! The guy from your office?? Murphy!"

"Give that back!" Finally overpowering her and getting the phone out of her death grip, I sit back and brush the loose hair out of my face. "It's just some shit."

Standing up and taking the empty wine glasses to the kitchen, Sara laughs. "Oh, is it? Tell me what riveting information David must be telling you to make you smile like Harry does? Go ahead, I'll wait."

"I hate you."

"No you don't."

"Sometimes I fucking wish I did." Following her into the kitchen with the pizza box, I put the leftover pieces into a container at the same time she puts the glasses into the dishwasher with a triumphant smirk written across her face.

Leaning back on the counter, she crosses her arms as she looks at me. "You just hate when I'm right."

"That is a statement I will not argue with." I smile at her as I start the dishwasher and turn to face her. "Are you sure you have to go home tomorrow?"

Giving me her best puppy dog eyes, she nods. "I know. I'm pretty sure Garrett will kill both of us if I don't come home. Besides, we're having dinner at the house and I'm taking a couple things over for your mom. However, if you don't spill whatever you've been smiling about when it comes to texting the coworker you hate I might just have to reconsider."

I can feel the heat rise to my cheeks at her statement — no matter how hard I fight it.

After my near radio silence over the last two weeks, Sara decided to drop in for a surprise visit and stayed for a long weekend. Much to David and Constance's dismay considering I cancelled any and all plans we had.

Oh well.

To say that over the last couple of weeks I had been distant and on auto pilot would be an understatement.

Ever since Harry rescued me from David's parents house I feel like I've done nothing but disassociate myself from almost everyone and everything — trying desperately to organize my thoughts and keep other thoughts from taking over.

Other thoughts that involved one man.

One man with dark, chestnut curls and forest green eyes.

Harry.

Not only did he invade my thoughts while I was awake but he ruled my dreams as well.

There was something about that night. Whether it was the way he didn't press for me to talk about something I didn't want to talk about or the fact that he looked so fucking good that I wasn't so entirely sure I didn't need a cold shower by the time he finally dropped me off at home.

Harry was attractive, that was a fact.

Seeing him dressed in running clothes almost made me feel like I would never look at another man the same. I knew he had tattoos, but jesus fucking christ... I didn't know he had that many tattoos.

I'd never been so thankful for the dim lighting of a car when I crawled in and buckled myself considering my eyes were looking over his body as if he was a piece of art being displayed in a museum. Tan, golden skin marked with design after design after design.