I grunt when my body hits the hard floor closing my eyes from the sheer pain coursing through my body. "What is the meaning of this?" A male voice I haven't heard says angrily. "Forgive me Heda but we found a nightblood" Luca says and I hear a few gasps. "How is that possible?" The same irritable man hisses. I feel my head being yanked by my hair making me hiss. "Who disregarded tradition?" The man, who I see is in a robe and blad speaks looking at me. I blink and my eyes shift to who I think is the commander. She looks young. Maybe a few years older than me. She looks cold and angry. Is this what papa meant? Doesn't matter, she caused his death. I feel a slap making me grunt and thrash against Edwar who is holding me. "The commander asked you a question" he spits out tightening his grip. "Enough! Let her go" the commander says harshly making him let go. My body not being able to hold itself up falls. I barely catch myself letting a gasp out as I'm sure I have a broken rip or something. "Who did this to her?" She asks sternly. "She fought us. We didn't have a choice Heda. We had to kill her father too." Luca says making me clench my fists. "Bushhada" (coward) I mutter making them look at me. I managed to sit up and look at them. "Watch your mouth girl" he grits out making me smirk. "Or what? You'll kill another defenseless person? You're nothing but a weak pathetic coward" I spit out making him pull his sword out and place it against my neck. I just laugh as he digs it in. "Do you think I care? Kill me or I swear I will kill you. I'll watch as you choke on your blood just as my father did." I say not backing down. I don't know where this confidence came from but I'm liking it. He pulls back only to go to jab at me but a dark skinned woman places a sword on his neck making him freeze. "Put your sword down" she orders lowly making him gulp and drop his sword. "Everyone out!" The commander orders making them leave. I sit there looking at the floor and hear someone walk closer to me. "What is your name?" The commander asks again but her voice is softer for some reason. I don't look up. I don't move. "Heda let me get her to talk" the bald man says making me tense up. "Enough Titus." She orders. "Indra, do you know what village she is from?" She asks the dark skinned woman who saved me, Indra I suppose. "A small village in Trikru territory." She says making me close my eyes. "Do you have other family?" She asks but I say nothing. "Answer your commander" Titus orders harshly. "Titus. Leave us." She says with a hard voice. "Heda..." He argues but stops. She must have done something to make him stop. I hear him leave and the door close behind him leaving the commander and Indra. "My name is Lexa and I'm also from Trikru. This is my war general, Indra kom Trikru" the commander, Lexa, says softly. I look at my hands saying nothing. We stay in silence for a long moment before I open my mouth, "Thea... My name is Thea" I whisper out not looking up. "Nice to meet you Thea. Did you know you were a nightblood?" She asks making me shake my head no. "My papa says... Said I was cursed with a special gift. If I didn't hide when told I would end up dead or in eternal pain" I say finally looking up. Our eyes meet and I feel something inside my chest tightening but I ignore it and look down again. Her eyes are so green and her jaw sharp. She's beautiful but full. Her eyes sad. "How old are you?" She asks after a moment. "16 summers" I say fiddling with my fingers. "We need to train her Heda" Indra speaks up making me tense. "She needs to be checked on. She's bleeding" she says. "I'll get Niko" Indra says and walks out leaving the commander and I. "You can look at me Thea" she says but I don't move. "I am sorry about your father" she says making me huff a humorless laugh out. My eyes drag up to meet hers. "It was your order that killed him. Commander" I say harshly making a wave of emotion flash through her but as quick as it came it left leaving her cold emotionless face. "You will start training once you heal. You will be given a room and a guard will watch over you to make sure you don't run" she says and I clench my jaw looking down again. Like hell am I going to train. She's going to have to kill me herself before I pick up a sword.

It's been a few days. The commander gave me a room like she said, but it's more like a cell. The room is nice sure, but I'm not allowed to leave. Someone is always on the door. I haven't eaten since she had Indra show me my 'room'. I refused this Niko's help and kept myself hidden. The only time someone knocks is to bring food but I never answer. I've been sitting in the same dirty clothes for 2 days. I don't bathe. I sit on the floor in the farthest darkest corner and stare. I haven't even cried for my papa. I'm not even mad anymore at Edwar or the commander. I just feel nothing. A void or emptiness. The curse of my blood will always be with me. You just can't let it win. Papa would say that to me but I didn't understand. I didn't know my blood was like this for so long. I knew I was different. My veins were always darker but the paler I got from staying hidden away the more I looked like death. Maybe I was. I'm the one the blame for papa's death. No one else. Edwar may have driven the sword through him, the commander may have given the order, but me? I was the one who was foolish. I was the one who got him killed. I can't blame anyone else but myself. So here I sit. Alone with my cursed blood too wallow in self pity.