The Dragon

As the dragon stepped into the sunlight, all Alyssa could do was stand there and watch in fearful awe. She was paralyzed. The dragons bright red scales were glittering in the bright shine of the sun, and his claws were long and wickedly sharp. The dragon scanned the arena, looking for today's prey. His eyes settled on Alyssa and she could've sworn he smiled. Alyssa had faced tons of mean teachers, principles, and rabid dogs. But nothing like this! A dragon for Petes sake!

Seeing that Alyssa wasn't going to make any moves, the dragon stepped out towards her. A single foot forward and it covered the distance of 20 feet. He kept walking, and within seconds he was already at Alyssa's feet. He looked down at her. She looked up at him. Suddenly the dragon swiped his front paw and hit her, throwing her into a wall.

Alyssa gasped for air, her breath knocked out of her. She tried to get up off the ground but already her muscles were too weak. The dragon came at her again, this time, claws unsheathed. He clawed at her torso and left deep scratch marks going across her abdomen. Alyssa cried out in pain and toppled over. She didn't stand a chance.

"Now should I keep toying with you, or would you like to choose your death?" A deep, rattling voice came. Alyssa looked around. She wouldn't be able to hear the audience from here, so who could it be? She looked straight ahead at the only thing that is within hearing distance. The dragon. He couldn't be talking to her.. But then again.. She didn't even knew dragons existed one week ago.

"Wh- what?!" Alyssa whimpered. "Um...in would like to live, if that isn't too much trouble."

It's a funny thing to see a surprised dragon. "You can... Understand me?" He asked with wide eyes. Alyssa nodded slowly, bobbing her head up and down, mouth agape. She was the first? Others couldn't understand him? Or was Alyssa really going insane?!

The dragon suddenly stopped what he was doing. He blew a blue, shimmery mist at the wounds on Alyssa's torso and they quickly healed, seaming up as if connected by a zipper. He then backed up and spread his ginormous wings, with a span of 60 feet. Man, this dragon was giant! He was glorious. He lowered his head to the ground and it become apparent he wanted Alyssa to climb on.

She did. Using his eye ridges as handholds, Alyssa climbed onto the top of his head, holding tight on his horns. The crowd gasped as one. Some cried out indignantly. Allix stood up to get a better look, as did some others. The dragon lifted his head and roared. He jumped and flapped his huge wings, gaining more and more leverage, climbing higher and higher into the sky. Alyssa leaned down against the top of the dragons head, scared about falling off.

Allix's yell could be heard above all others. Where was this beast taking her?! He chased through the stadium, trying to catch up, but it was no use. The dragon was too fast. He broke through the chains on his ankle, flying all the way to a tall, snowy mountain. He flew into a deep cave. It was a lot warmer than the surrounding air.

There he settled down and Alyssa climbed off, sitting in the middle of the cave. The dragon lay down across from her, staring at her intently. "I've never come in contact with anyone like you. You dress differently than most other women here, and your hair is lighter, too. You can also speak to me. That is unheard of. I have a proposition."