Chapter 9 - Eyes that Sparkle like the Sea

Link's heart clawed its way into his throat.

"'Rule?" He called, voice cracking. His hands curled into anxious fists at his sides, trembling as he spun aimlessly on the spot. "Hyrule?" No voice responded. No chilly hand on his shoulder, no flash of green eyes, no muttering from behind him. Nothing. He was- He was alone. Hyrule was gone. Why did he go? Did he... Was it something he said? Done? Not done? Panic began welling up in the centre of Link's chest, squeezing all the air from his lungs. "HYRULE?!" 

He took off down the road, eyes wide and heart beating wildly out of his chest. Maybe Hyrule had gone up ahead, just to make sure everything was... Yeah. Yeah, he'll be further up the path. He has to be.

"Say, hey there!"

Link ground to a halt, hope flaring in his heart until it dwindled again. It wasn't the voice he had hoped to hear. 

"Young one! Up top! Above you!"

The gravel path crunched underfoot as he followed the source of the voice. It was higher pitched than Hyrule's, and held a stiff formality that contrasted with his friend's lax nature. Link squinted as he watched a crimson figure dive from the top of the tower marking the end of Inogo Bridge. The structure glowed blue in the shadows of the surrounding hills, and Link pursed his lips in fascination when the crystalline surface shimmered in the light rainfall. 

Link's eyes fell onto the person as they landed with a steady thump on the ground, slick red and white scales glimmering in contrast to the cyan-tinted air. They stood far taller than Link himself, their body adorned with silver trinkets, and the weapon strapped to their back made Link's nerves rattle. Somewhere from the depths of Link's mind, he filled in the blank space that made the scene made sense. This was a Zora.

But then his eyes dipped downwards, following the Zora's golden gaze to the smaller person standing before them.

"Pardon the entrance, but you're a Hylian, aren't you?" The Zora continued to address the kid, neither of them having apparently noticed Link as of yet. "I was hoping perhaps you'd have a moment to talk..."

"Sure! I have all the time in the world!" The Hylian giggled, rocking back and forth on his toes. "But it's not me you wanna talk to. It's him!" The boy suddenly turned and pointed a pale finger right at Link. Eyes as green as emeralds sparkled at Link, a boyish grin curling at the corners of the young man's mouth. 

Link faltered for a moment, dragging his attention away from the wildly familiar eyes to the green flames dancing around the feet of the boy, swaying in an non-existent breeze. Then realisation struck Link like a club to the head. 

A spirit. A hero. A brother. 

The Zora's eyes flicked to meet Link's, the faintest flicker of recognition passing through them before his charming smile of spiked teeth returned. "Oh, pardon me..." If at all possible, his smile grew brighter still. "I am Sidon, the Zora prince." He approached Link slowly, the latter shooting a confused and wary glance towards the boy before curling his hands into the hem of his tunic. "And what is your name? Go on, please tell me!"

Link opened his mouth, but not a sound came out. He floundered, searching for something to say. The prince stood at almost twice his height, pounds upon pounds of raw muscle and sharpened claws towering over him. He felt like a child beside him, not the supposed saviour of the land. 

"His name is Link!" The kid chipped in, skipping over to Link's side. His blond hair bounded with him, though stayed unaffected by the rain. "Sorry, my brother's a bit shy." He grinned cheekily at Link, nudging him with his shoulder. The boy must have been a few years younger than him; his face still retained puppy fat and his voice held that childlike openness - both of which Link wondered if he himself had lost long ago.