Chapter 1. The Maiden turned Queen

18 years ago

"Aunt, what is that you wanted to tell me?" Nithya came running to her maternal aunt.

She hugged her tightly and kissed her forehead earning a giggle from her aunt.

"Your mom would be so proud of you! She raised a pretty and smart girl!" Aunt caressed Nithya's face and admired the 22-year-old girl who had grown into a beautiful maiden.

After chatting for some time, the niece and aunt duo went to the garden area of the small house.

Nithya had a liking towards gardening after her mom. It was visible with the beautiful flora and fauna growing around the house.

"Nithya my daughter, do you want to spend your lifetime by taking care of this flowers and leaves. Don't you think you should settle down in life, dear?!" Her aunt asked her who was paying half attention to her aunt's words.

She was shifting the rose plant from one pot to another carefully.

Nithya had a fondness towards roses. She liked pink, yellow, red and all the other natural colors of the flower. It resembled herself who was like rose, soft and pretty outside but strong inside.

"Aunty, I have you with me. Then why I need to worry about anything." Nithya told her while patting the soft soil in the pot.

Her aunt grabbed her hand and told her strictly "Nithya, I am serious! You are now marriageable age. This is the perfect age to get married and settle down. And I have the perfect family for you."

Nithya looked at her aunt with astonishment. She just stood up silently and grabbed the water hose to clean her soiled hands.

Her aunt didn't like her attitude towards marriage. This was not the first time that she had approached her niece with a marriage proposal.

Nithya had rejected all of them saying one or the other excuse.

But her aunt was adamant. She didn't give up. So, this time she came with the idea of getting her married for sure.

Her aunt followed her in the kitchen, where she saw Nithya quenching her thirst with a glass of water because of the summer heat.

"Nithya?" Her aunt called her earning a silence as usual.

Her aunt saw that she was getting the usual treatment at her niece's most hated topic. So, she decided to use her ultimate weapon – emotional torture.

"If your mom was alive, I need not worry about you so much. It is only her last wish to see you happy and content with life." Nithya gave deaf ears to her aunt's words.

"Ok, if this is the case. Then I won't bother you anymore. But mark my words dear. Your mom wont be happy with your stubbornness." Still, she didn't get any response.