Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6: So scared. Terrified. That's what I was. He was close I could feel it in my bones. I clutched my teddy bear tighter and pushed myself further down into my blankets. Maybe he would forget. Maybe he wouldn't notice me. Maybe mommy would hear. The door creaked open and blood roared in my ears as silent tears ran down my cheeks. I could see the glow of my ballerina nightlight from just under the white of the sheet. A shadow walked in front of it and I bit back a whimper. "Natalie..." The voice purred and I wanted to scream. I knew when he was drunk like when mommy was. I could practically smell the yucky musky scent from here. Bile rolled in my stomach and burned the back of my throat. A hard grip shot out and grabbed my ankle. I let out a choked cry as the blankets were torn off me and he was standing above me with a disgusting and scary, gleeful grin on his ugly face. Please, no. Not again. "Hey baby girl. I missed you tonight. Come give me a kiss." He growled and began to crawl on the bed, pulling me underneath him. I bucked under him as he held my wrists above my head. "Please! No! I don't wanna." I cried as he moved for my pajama pants. "PLEASE!"

Natalie woke with a choked cry, her body sheened with a fine layer of sweat. Memories plagued her, nightmares plagued her, like a big black wave just waiting to grip and pull her under. She willed the erratic beat of her heart to slow and took in gulps of air.

It was only a nightmare, I'm not there anymore, she told herself but couldn't help the pit of lingering terror and dread in her stomach. She didn't think she would be able to sleep so she stretched and swung her legs over the large bed, letting her feet his the floor and letting the coolness of the marble ground her as it nipped at her exposed feet.

Sighing, she pulled on the robe and tip-toed over to the door and pulled it open.

Surprisingly it wasn't locked and she let out a breath of relief. All she wanted was a cold glass of water. Natalie walked down the large spiral of stairs and after about 15 minutes she finally found the kitchen and had to stifle a gasp at how large and beautiful it was.

Shaking off her shock, she walked over and rummaged through the cabinets until she found a glass and then walked over to the sink and filled it up.

She took a sip and sighed with soft pleasure when the crispness of the water rolled over her tongue and down her throat.

"Natalie?" A voice asked and she jumped, almost dropping the glass.

She turned and found Giovanni standing there, a frown on his face.

He was also only in a pair of black silk pajama pants.

She swallowed hard, watching the way his muscles flexed under the soft olive-colored skin. She licked suddenly dry lips and met his gaze, cursing herself when she saw him smiling with pure male satisfaction.

"What are you doing up, mi amour?" he asked as he took a step forward.

"I...Um...had a nightmare." She whispered and tore her gaze away from the very yummy and fascinating abs.

He walked over to her, tipped up her chin so that she met his gaze.

Worry flashed in his eyes before it was gone a split moment later.

"Nightmare...or memory?" he asked in a whisper, his blue gaze intense.

She swallowed hard as the black wave threatened to get closer. She removed her chin from his grasp and forced a light shrug.

"Oh you know." She said half-heartedly.

He watched her, his lips thin.

"No... I don't." He said and in that instance she knew he was lying.