Chapter 52 - Fragile Promises

Start from the beginning

"I was in control of things, Mother. I was the one who insisted to go out in secret. "Félix looked away, trying to suppress his remorse. 

He had to admit that his mother was right about one thing. Indeed, he was reckless and put Marinette's life in danger on that day. Although he saved her and had been doing everything to keep her safe, his guilt seemed to not emerge from his heart which like a chain - kept capturing his soul at every taken breath.

Still, he felt like he needed to clarify himself in front of his mother, to not let her see him being vulnerable. "We were aware of the consequences. " he declared. "But we had to do it discreetly in front of the citizens for our research's sake."

"Ah, that so-called research! .. Yeah, I've heard about it from Lila that you two have been spending hours in the library lately.." Amélie grimaced. "Listen, you know exactly well that usually, I don't interfere with the way you manage your duties, Son.. "

She ignored Félix's snort in response to her, and continued, ".. but this ought to stop! You shouldn't care about that disease, nor should do anything in the Princess's favor! If Marinette was to solve this problem, people would think even more highly of her! But we must not let that happen!" pushing herself away from the desk, she walked to the window as she continued in a lower voice, "You want to provide the most suitable leader for this kingdom, don't you? Then you ought to be concerned to be that one and not let that pesky, immat..."

"Stop it," Félix interjected firmly, his gaze darting to her. "Stop talking about her this way, Mother."

"Tsk, why would I?" Amélie sneered, glancing at him from the corner of her eyes. "We both know that she's nothing but a childish, spoiled daughter of Gabriel who's absolutely incompetent of..."

"I said, stop it!" the Prince declared - his tone claiming authority. "Don't talk so disrespectfully about Marinette! You know nothing about her! If there is someone who's the most suitable to rule this Kingdom then it's the Princess! Therefore, just to make things clear between us, Mother " he stepped before her, peering earnestly into her eyes, "I have no desire to take the throne. I'll rule by her side only if she asks me, but that's all."

"You must be joking! How could you say such nonsense?!" Amélie flinched, her hands curling into fists to suppress her hands shaking. "This alliance is pointless if you aren't to become a king! I did everything on your behalf to ascend the throne one day and to grant prestige and the highest status in the nobility on our family's behalf! So how...how can you do this to us?!" her usual nonchalant countenance was long gone, her whole body was vibrating with anger and frustration. "Do you really want to bring shame upon the Grahams, upon your family by letting her rule instead of you?!"

Letting out a breath, attempting to gain some semblance of her composure back, she continued, "Just out of curiosity, since when have you been thinking like this? You used to share the same opinion of the Princess as myself and you didn't want her as your queen either! "

The air suddenly felt too suffocating for the Prince as, without his own will, he reminisced about his past relationship with Marinette. Glancing at the window behind his mother, his five-year-younger self's reflection stared at him in a judging way. 

Truth be told, way before his journey to his master, he indeed used to think of the Princess as low as his mother mentioned. But it was not the case anymore. If Marinette was the one or Félix himself who had changed throughout the years, he couldn't tell. But he was certain about one thing: he wanted nothing more but to call her his queen one day.

Shifting his gaze away from the window, he replied gravely, "Maybe I used to share your opinion, Mother, but not anymore. Marinette had proved several times already that she is indeed worthy of the throne and I pledge my full support to her."