𝗙𝗔𝗠𝗜𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗥 𝗙𝗔𝗖𝗘

Start from the beginning

"You know I'm joking," I retort, a small smile painting my lips. James mirrors my expression, as I nudge my shoulder with his slightly in a gesture of reassurance.

"Yeah—I knew that. I was joking too," James comments back in a serious tone, but the grin gracing his face betrays his attempt at sincerity.

Preteens.

We are almost home; I can tell from the increasing number of decaying buildings and the dense overgrowth reclaiming what was once a bustling neighborhood

I've walked this terrain so many times that I've grown intimately familiar with it, memorizing its quirks and landmarks in case we ever get lost past curfew. It's happened a few times more than I'd like to admit.

A rustling sound from a nearby bush catches my attention, but I dismiss it initially, attributing it to the wind. However, the distinct snap of twigs forces my focus back to the shrub, every sense now on high alert.

"Hold on," I whisper, causing James to stop beside me. He squints at the bush with curiosity, but I instinctively push him slightly behind me. Despite his short figure, he manages to peek over my shoulder on tippy toes with wide, green eyes.

"What is it, Rome?" he whispers, his small hand gripping my upper arm. The bush remains still, but an uneasy feeling churns in my stomach.

Part of me hopes I just imagined the noise, perhaps a side effect of the recent attack that left me wary and jumpy. I shake off James's hold and turn to him, his frown mirroring my unease.

"Did you hear something move from the bush?" I mutter, my voice trembling slightly as I bite my lip.

His nod sends a fleeting wave of relief through me. So I didn't imagine it. But it's quickly replaced by a deeper sense of dread.

"It might be an animal or something," James reassures, tilting his head. "You know how they are." He's right; wild animals are common here.

As hard as my brain try's to convince myself that I'm overreacting, a persistent nagging in the back of my mind urges me to investigate. I mean, it can't hurt if it's just a wild animal; the worst it could do is give us a scare like it's doing currently.

"I'll check it out. Just hold this," I say, handing the basket of fresh food to James. He accepts it with wide eyes, nodding slowly.

Turning my back to him, I creep towards the overgrown weed. Each step quickens my heartbeat, but I'd rather confront whatever it is than let it catch us off guard.

"Wait!" James's sudden shout startles me, making me whirl around, slightly flinching at the loud noise. His worried expression only fuels the butterflies in my stomach.

"Don't go too far, promise?"

"Yeah," I pause, glancing at the bush. "Yeah, of course."

Pushing through the rough leaves, the thorns scrape against my arm, marking me with their unwelcome touch. I extend my leg to take a big step forward, feeling a sense of accomplishment as I breach the thick vegetation.