Chapter 16 - Letters

Dad,

This will be the last message you'll ever receive from me, so please read and consider it carefully.

Ben is in danger. You must separate him from Elaine immediately. 

Mothers can make or break a child. Nurture or torture. Build up or rip apart.

Elaine knows how to destroy a child, especially boys in her care.

I was four the first time she neglected me to the point of near death. Her method of choice: drowning. There's no look of loathing stronger than when she realized she'd still be stuck raising me. That slight hope I wouldn't surface as I struggled glimmered in her eyes even if she knew her actions were too severe. She pulled me up to save me, to pretend she had an ounce of humanity, but she also waited and watched my terror then threatened me into silence.

I grew up prepared to ignore her intimidating presence and become as successful as a person weighed down with suffering can be. But Ben fell into her clutches this spring, and after noticing his bruises and unease around her, I can't risk his safety. Deep down, I sense she's subjecting him to the same. I called CFS, but that only resulted in Elaine shoving me out of your lives.

With few other options, I did something many consider unforgivable. I plotted to take the woman's life. It would save Ben, and she'd understand the anguish she inflicted. But fear kept me from acting against her. She's a ruthless enemy: scheming, cruel, and all-knowing. For Ben to escape, I had to perfect my plan.

I tested its effectiveness on three women. Lily Sinclair, Ashley Frost, and Alexandra Moore lost their lives after accepting a drugged drink and being encouraged to swim under that influence. I watched them drown, imagining Elaine's face on their helpless bodies. It strengthened my confidence and resolve to take down Elaine.

I enacted no other violence toward these women but what was required to test the effectiveness of my plan. The first two victims were found within days of their deaths. The remains discovered outside of the lake in Bear Claw belong to Alexandra Moore. They should be returned to her family.

The woman I targeted did not deserve their fates, and their families' lives will be forever changed.

You may consider me a monster. But there was no other option to save my nephew. I regret that trying to stop her caused so much destruction and pain.

Perhaps after reading this, you'll examine how you can help him.

Don't waste your time looking for me as you won't find me, not alive.

This world wasn't designed for people like me.

Concentrate your efforts on Ben.

Save him from this fate.

Dustin Turcotte

In the early morning, Josh and I staked out Jean-Claude Turcotte's home and waited for him to leave for work. I cringed for poor Ben left alone with Elaine. We gave Jean-Claude ten minutes to settle at his construction site before I entered while Josh surveilled from his truck.

I approached the storage container office and knocked. When the battered door swung open, a bald man with a salt-and-pepper beard stared at me.

"Can I help you?"

"Are you Jean-Claude Turcotte?"

"Yes. You're aware this is a construction area that requires protective equipment?"

"I don't plan on staying. I only need a few minutes of your time. It's about your son, Dustin."

His gaze softened. "Please come in."