Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"Are you two bounty hunters?" I wonder further, tilting my head slightly to mirror the girl in front of me "No, I'm an assassin!" She corrects without thinking.

"Toga!" The guy scolds suddenly and her attention flickers to him, annoyance plaguing her features as she pointed the knife towards where I'd assume his face to be over my shoulder.

"What? I never get asked—besides, we're just going to kill her anyways!" She blurts out with clear irritation and the man lets out an aggravated grumble "This is why I told that crusty brat not to pair me up with you."

"You stupid mage!"

"Annoying vampire."

The two had started to bicker and I deadpan in disbelief "I'll kill you." "You're screwed if you try, it's a bad match up." He informs and I nod slightly.

'Fire mage, definitely a fire mage.' I internally comment 'No wonder they seem to dislike each other so much.' My eye glances to Toga once more.

I clear my throat, capturing her attention and pulling her eyes back to me "It's obvious you guys don't get along too well, so who would even pair you up together?" I wonder.

"The League's stupid leader." She answers—immediately earning another annoyed hiss from the man holding me "Oh, shut up! It's not like she's going to live long enough to tell anyone!" She argues, turning to point the tip of her knife at the guy again.

Just as they start to bicker once more, my head perks up with the sounds of metal clanking nearby and growing closer by the second.

The sounds of the armored guards made me shift slightly in the man's grasp "Help!!" I holler out, briefly startling the girl in front of me.

One of the hands holding my wrists let's go—quickly reaching up to clasp over my mouth and muffle my screams as the voices near the alleyway.

"Did you hear that?" One person wonders and they sound oddly familiar "Why you—!" Toga seethes, swiftly lunging forward to stab me.

Using my now free hand to catch her wrist, I quickly throw my head back into the guys face as I kicked her in the stomach, making her stumble back to the other side of the alley.

Flipping the knife so it's blade was pointing downwards, I wasted no time in throwing my arm back—lodging the sharp weapon into the guys stomach and causing him to let out a curse.

I managed to free myself from his hands, yanking and trying to run forward "In the alleyway!! Help!" I call out once more, causing the confused guards to come rounding the corner.

"Shit." The guy mutters as I fall to my knees a few feet between the two groups.

"I'll kill you all!" Toga beams, excitedly pulling another knife from her belt holster before the mage places a hand on her shoulder, yanking her back.

"We're out of time." He informs lowly, glowing turquoise eyes staring down at me as he raised his stitch covered arm out from beneath her cloak.

A blue flame ignited in his palm "Watch out."

"Everybody get down!" A voice shouts over the black haired mage—a bright burst of flames flying from his hand as one of the guards slides over, shielding me from the attack.

Just as the attack had been unleashed, it abruptly stopped—my eyes that were squinted shut, blinked open after a few seconds of silence.

Looking up, a familiar mop of grey hair was leaning over me, his skin had hardened much like Kirishima's but was shiny and metallic unlike the cracks I had grown used to seeing.

He painted above me, looking out amongst the other guards present with a light bead of sweat running down the side of his face as his quirk eased and his skin returned to normal.

"Is everyone okay?!" He calls out to the others, my head tilting back to see a shield like circle slowly fall along the front of the alleyway—showcasing a girl with beautiful curly pink hair holding a thumbs up.

"Rose covered everyone, we're all good here!" Another one of the guess inform, earning a nod from Tetsu before he finally glanced down to me—brows furrowed in worry.

"Are you okay, (Y/n)?" He asks and I nod, peaking behind his shoulder to see no one left standing there—the two bounty hunters had vanished, leaving nothing but a muddy puddle in their places.

"What are you doing out here? Where's Kirishima?" He continues to ask as he gets off of me and gently helps me to my feet, his dark eyes flickering over towards the puddles as well.

"I uh, kind of stepped out on my own." My voice trails off as I glance towards the front of the alleyway and from the corner of my eye, I catch Testsu following my gaze with his own, nodding towards my answer.

"Well, I can escort you back, come on." He leads me forward, slightly shielding me from the other guards as he passes by "Go inspect the area and try to find were those two bounty hunters went off to." He commands the few who looked our way.

Once we make it out into the busy street, he leans down to me "Make sure you hide your face as much as you can." The silver haired guard instructs and I oblige, still in shock over what had just happened.

After a few moments of silence he clears his throat again, glancing about as we walked "So, do you know the people who attacked you..?" He asks, a concerned pitch in his words.

It was almost as if he was trying to ease me into the question, knowing I had been in shock the moment we stepped out of that alleyway.

I blink and take a second to process the question before averting my eyes to the dirt pathing in thought "..They said they were sent by 'the League,' whatever that is.." My voice trails off.

When I look up again, his brows raise in surprise before furrowing as he avoids my gaze—a slight tense in his shoulders as we continued on.

"Do you have an idea of what they could've wanted?" He wonders, back to investigating.

My mind contemplates about telling him that they were most likely after Eijiro for the bounty but I decide against it and let the air fall silent once more.

We come up to the front of the hotel and he follows me in "You really don't need to walk me to my door, Tetsu." I start once we're walking up the stairs.

He shakes his head immediately, shooting down my statement "No, no, you just got attacked—I need to make sure you get back to your room safely." The silver haired guard quickly claims.

And I nod, letting a sigh slip past my lips as we trotted through the hallway leading up to my room.

When we approach the door, I turn to face the guard fully—lending my back to the wood as I offered a grateful smile up at the guard "Well then, thank you for the help and—"

The sound of a lock clicking and the twist of a handle caused me to jump slightly from the sudden noise—a light gust of wind brushing along my back as the door behind me was pulled open.

"Oh, there you are (Y/n)—" The familiar groggy voice of the my significant other greets behind me and I can hear the surprise in his words when he sees the other person standing just a few feet in front of me.

"Tetsu?"

——————————————————————————