We laugh softly and begin putting food on our plates. Everyone smiles. For a few seconds, it feels like we could be a normal family. For a few seconds, we're not broken.

I love Christmas.

~

It's almost midnight and I'm tiptoeing my way to the kitchen in my night gown. As I arrive there, I already find my brother, putting some cookies on a plate and pouring some milk in two cups. As he looks up and sees me, he smiles:

"You remembered..." Karl whispers. I nod and come closer. He hands me one of the cups.

"Always", I reply. This is our tradition. Every year on Christmas Eve, we wait for Santa in the kitchen, eating cookies and drinking milk. We've done this ever since I was five and it's become one of the things I most love about this holiday.

Silence rules between us for a few minutes, before he asks: "Are you excited about the ball tomorrow?"

He means the Annual Christmas Ball my family hosts. Every important person from Cordelia is invited and we celebrate Christmas together.

"A bit. I am also a bit nervous though." I answer honest. He comes and hugs me:

"You'll do great, Fia."

"Thanks." I whisper back at him.

After another round of silence, he speaks again: "I've been meaning to ask: did something happen? You seem much happier than the last time you came back."

I force myself to stop a blush, thinking about Alec. Something did happen. I fell in love with the most amazing guy on this planet, who loves me so much as if I were his world. However, I tell none of that to Karl, only answer with: "Nothing happened. Must be the holiday cheer."

Karl sees right through me and replies: "Well, when you're ready, I'll like to meet the lovely gentleman who made your heart smile."

I roll my eyes at him amused and gave up hiding: "When we're ready, I'll introduce you to him."

Smirking with victory that I admitted, Karl continues his interrogation: "But I am going to need some details until then. Is he your Prince Charming?"

I think about it. Is Alec a Prince Charming? No. Hell no. He doesn't speak formal, he sometimes swears, he always wears his suits without the shirts, he once messed up and he has that touch-her-you-die vibe.

"He's not my Prince Charming." I answer. Karl raises an eyebrow confused. I continue: "But he's everything I could ever want."

My brother smiles, seeing I actually like the guy: "I'm happy for you, Fia."

"Thank you", I whisper, then remember he's also single, in his twenties, a freaking prince and he looks hot: "But what about you? Have you found someone?"

He blushes and I understand he did, but he denies it: "Not really, no. You know, same boring life."

"Yeah, right", I reply chuckling. "You're blushing."

"Am not." he protests.

I laugh and take out my phone to quickly take a picture of him. I then zoom on his cheeks and show him the screen: "See? Blushing."

"You're impossible." he adds laughing. I smirk proud.

"So, who is she?" I repeat. He goes all nervous.

"I can't tell. But I'll introduce you to her once. I promise."

I nod, since I also haven't exactly told him everything.

In the silence, we can hear the bells ringing in the distance, pointing the fact it's a new day. Karl comes closer and gives me a big hug.

"Merry Christmas, Fia." he whispers.

I kiss his cheek and reply: "Merry Christmas, brother."

We spend the rest of the night in the kitchen, telling each other childhood memories from Christmas time.

~

"Are you sure you have to leave, darling?" My Mother asks, holding me tight in a hug.

The New Year's Eve reception just ended and I'm still in my silvery gala dress.

I nod and pull her closer.

"I do. I am very sorry, Mother." I whisper.

She kisses my forehead and I kiss her cheek in return. As she lets go, she's still trying to convince me not to go, yet Karl steps in: "We want to let Fia spend time with her friends, right?"

I nod and he comes give me a hug. When he's close to my ear and I'm the only one who can hear, he whispers: "Send him greetings from me."

I chuckle and nod. My brother's the only one who knows I'm not leaving now to spend time with my friends as I told everyone. He doesn't know who my boyfriend is or where I'm going, but he understood I'll be spending time with him.

After I hug Father as well and say goodbye to Gillian, I walk outside, followed by Darrel who's showing the staff where to put my bags. As I'm inside the car and he's on the passenger seat, my bodyguard turns to me and asks worried: "Are you sure about this, Your Royal Highness?"

I nod and instinctively blush, thinking about where I'm going: "I am. Very sure."

Darrel nods and tells the driver to take us to the airport.

~

It's almost midnight as I arrive in front of the cabin. I can see the lights are on inside. I told Alec I'll be coming tomorrow, yet I really wanted to arrive early and surprise him.

I look on my phone to see when it's exactly midnight. As soon as the digits turn 00:00 and it's officially a New Year, I call my boyfriend, who picks up at the first ring.

"Happy New Year, Foxy!" he begins. I chuckle and answer with:

"Happy birthday, Alec."

He tenses yet thanks me. That's the part when the surprise comes.

"Go outside." I tell him. He asks what I meant with that, yet I only repeat. After some time, he opens the door and I can see how his eyes light up the moment he sees me. He's in his pyjamas, the plain grey T-Shirt and checkered black and white pants. His hair is a bit messy, like coming out from bed.

As he sees me though, he rushes to hug me although he's barefoot and the street is not just frozen cold but also with ice on it. He doesn't care and stops just as soon as he's next to me and holding me in his arms. I wrap my feet around his waist and he holds me protective.

"You're crazy." I tell him chuckling. "You're barefoot."

He laughs and his eyes don't wonder off me: "I am the crazy one? Look at you. You're still in a sleeveless dress."

I chuckle since he's right. I didn't get the chance to change from the gala dress I wore at the reception. I've just hurried to have him close to me.

He gently places me on his back and carries me inside.

As soon as we're somewhere warm, he takes me back in his arms and whispers: "You've just made this into the most amazing birthday I have ever had."

I smile and kiss his lips. I missed him. He pulls me closer and kisses me more. From the desire in his eyes, he has missed me too.

"Okay, forget what I said." he adds. "Now it's the best birthday ever."

I laugh and continue kissing his lips. I don't want to let go. I'm feeling so happy right now to be with him, to be able to have him close. And as I think that this is just the first day of our holiday, I can't hold back a smile. Alec notices and asks me:

"What's on your mind, Foxy?"

"I just love you, you asshole." I reply. He chuckles and pulls me closer. After he kisses my neck to make it clear, he whispers:

"Me too, Foxy. I love you too."

As he kisses my lips again and draws a heart on my elbow with his fingers, I can't help but feel butterflies. If this is what being in love means, please don't ever wake me up.