Chapter 30: What Comes Next

Začať od začiatku

As the two saw each other, they have the urge to rush to each other with the intent to embrace other happily, and so they did. Swift's heart filled with overwhelming happiness at the sight of her, just having no wish to wait any longer to race towards her, and she feels the same feeling of contentment. Yet, somewhere within the wreckage, someone else decides to stand back up again.

The moment of joy was short-lived. Swift's smile of gratification instantly fades away when he sees another figure rising from the flames behind Audrey. It was Matt, a heavily injured Matt. Drips of blood flowed down the side of his face from the scar on his head, his left eye closed because of it. He walks limping on his right leg, his left one speared completely through by a giant piece of metal. On his hand is the same gun that almost shot Swift through the stomach. Swift looks at the disfigured look of him in dismay and horror.

Right when Matt sees Swift, he strains as he lifts the gun with his shaking arm, aiming the barrel right at the other's head. There was only one bullet left in the gun, and he knew how to spend it wisely. But, he reconsiders, his arm freezing. In his sight is an unsuspecting Audrey running up to a horrified Swift. Swift notices Matt turning his eye to the right. At that exact moment, he knew what he was up to.

No!

The gun turns its direction in the blink of an eye, and the bullet is shot. Not to Swift, but to Audrey. The world felt like it slowed down to Swift as he moves forward to Audrey. His action was in vain. Nothing else he could do as a powerful shout leaves his mouth when he sees the bullet hit Audrey from behind. Her smile instantly turns into a look of dread as she feels the bullet go through her back, feeling the projectile piercing her heart. Swift and Audrey stopped in their tracks towards each other. She felt like she was unable to go any further. The both of them share the same heartbroken look at each other.

"Ryan..." Audrey lets one last whisper leave her mouth before she collapses on the dirt as a sorrowful Swift rushes to her, catching her in his hands. At the same time, Matt collapses also.

"No," Swift breaks down upon seeing her fall into his arms, his hand soaked by the blood that leaks from her back, the other hand holding her head. "No, no, no!" His jaw shakes, words unable to escape his mouth as he's down on his knees. "No, no. Hey, hey, hey," He gently rubs the back of her head, attempting to comfort her. "Audrey? Audrey! You're going to be fine, okay?"

His uncontrollable breath trembles as she looks at him in the eyes one last time. With his eyes flooding, her hand reaches to caress his cheek as she uses the last of her breath to vulnerably mumble her last sentence, knowing she won't last long, her life slipping away with each passing moment.

"I love you."

Audrey leans closer to Swift's face, pulling him nearer for one final kiss, just to enjoy the taste of his lips for one last time, and he does just the same before she pulls away. Upon seeing her smile, he fought against the tide of tears that ran from his eyes just to return the smile. It feels like a long time when her smile slowly withers away, leaving her expressionless. Swift's eyes shift into confusion.

"Audrey?" He whispers to her, shaking her body slightly. Audrey instead keeps on staring him down blankly. "Audrey," He says, she responds with nothing at all. "Hey," He says again. Her silence made him slowly realize what was going on, but he didn't give up. He refused to believe it. "Audrey, can you just talk to me?" A tear leaves Swift's eye. "Please!" He shakes her again, noticing her half-open eyes.

Swift only had eyes for Audrey, lying in his arms. He could feel her blood staining his hand, warm and sticky against his palm. He had never felt so helpless, so powerless as he watched the light fade from her eyes. He had always thought he could protect her, keep her safe from harm, but he had failed. The enemy's blade had found its mark, and now she fell victim in his arms. He whispered her name, his voice choked with tears, begging her to hold on, to fight for just a little longer but it didn't matter. She was gone, and so was his sense of grief.