prologue

"I'm sorry," I whisper with my eyes closed, feeling disappointed in myself that I had to tell Jennie those words again.

For a split second since I opened my eyes, sadness flickered in hers.

The next, she was already smiling like I'm not the worst girlfriend she could have.

"Go," she extended her arm to caress my cheek with her thumb, "It's work."

We're in the middle of dinner in this fine dining I reserved this morning.

I haven't seen her for almost two weeks and now I have to leave early for work. Shit, it hasn't even been 15 minutes since we got here.

"Ride a cab home, okay?" I rummaged my bag for some cash.

"I have money too, Lisa," Jennie murmurs. I did a double take on her when I realized her looking uneasy. "Just go, I can take care of myself."

I couldn't move after seeing her like that.

She's been looking uneasy since we set foot in this place. I know she doesn't like fancy things. She doesn't want me spending too much on her. You see, Jennie's the breadwinner of her family so I wanted to help her a little even with just our expenses when we're on a date.

Money shouldn't really be an issue. I got loads of it but since she's uncomfortable with me paying for everything, I let her have her share.

But we don't fight. Ever. We've been dating a little over a year and we never once had a serious fight. Maybe just some awkward moments concerning money.

"Tomorrow. I'll pick you up from work," I muttered, determined to see a genuine smile on her face before I go... which she gave me.

That's just how simple things are with Jennie. We don't fight. Maybe it's because we're both too busy with our career and family that we seldom see each other, even when we live in the same city.

It didn't change the fact that we care deeply for each other though.

We wouldn't last this long if we didn't.