Chapter 7 - The Maze

Start from the beginning

A silver chain glinted around his left ankle, highlighted by the pure ebony of his legs.

So the demons had people from numerous races, it seemed.

"I'm Mist of Asgard. How'd you get here?"

A half-smile appeared on his face. "Right to the point, are you? The Wild Hunt. Their kelpies drove me onshore, then they traded me to the demons. What about you two?" His gaze moved between us.

"I'm Bloudwedd of the Summer Realm. Nemain caught me leaving the Winter Realm." Her tone was quiet and pained.

I sighed. "I'm not sure who darted me. Unfortunately, I didn't see before it knocked me unconscious, but I've pissed off the Wild Hunt and the Winter Court, so probably the same."

Ethan grunted. "It's not a horrible existence here, but I miss the ocean. There are seven other Fomorians here with me, all males, but you are the first Asgardian I've met. It's mostly humans, but there are some elves, Jotun, and a few Vanir, too." He started walking and pointed out the vee-shaped pattern in the slate tile of the paths. "As long as you are following the point of the vee, you are heading towards the exit, no matter where you are in the maze."

"Why are there so many mortals here?" asked Bloudwedd as we fell in step with him.

"They're all here on demon deals. For whatever reason, they agree to serve a five-year contract in the temple to get something back home on Litaui," he said. "For some, it's revenge against someone. Others want money or fame. Either way, they are absolutely here of their own free will." His silver eyes met mine. "Don't trust them."

How did he know I was already thinking of escaping this planet? I gave him a short nod.

A tinkling musical note rang in the air, so close it had me jolting and almost stumbling.

Ethan chuckled and tapped his left wrist, his brand. "It's the chime for the evening meal. Unless you are with a VIP patron, like one of the sky or surface realm lords, you are free to disengage and depart the session. We meet at the residence for all our meals. It's also a chance to clean up if you've been with a particularly... hmm"—his lips twitched—"productive patron so you don't bring the mess into the residence."

Bloudwedd's eyes widened, her mouth opening and a hand coming up to cover it.

"You mean if we're covered in jizz." I laughed.

His silver eyes glinted. "Yes. Some of them are... well, you'll see. I'd hate to spoil the surprise."

My eyebrow rose. "It's going to be like that, is it? Okay, I'm game. Bring it on, Orca boy."

He laughed, a big bellow of a sound as we exited the maze. "You are all right, Mist of Asgard. We're going to get along like anemone and clown fish."

"As long as you realize you are the clown fish," I told him.

Another bark of sound burst from him and he waved us through the main temple playground.

Two purple-fleshed harpies, black feathers cascading back from their foreheads to join with black feathered wings rising from their backs, stood at the imposing black iron gate to the street, ushering out patrons that hadn't flown away. A single curved talon on the centre yellow digit of their four-toed raptorial feet tapped impatiently at the last stragglers as they crossed their arms over black leather-harnessed breasts. Scales covered their lower bodies from waist to feet and I ducked my head when one of the females met my gaze with a predatory intensity.

"Yeah, don't piss off the harpies or gargoyles. I've seen them eat patrons that got out of hand. They are ruthless predators. Entirely vicious," Ethan murmured, guiding us through the gate to the private courtyard and residences.