Chapter 3: The Crow

A/N: I just love the interactions here haha! Thoughts/feedback/questions? I'd love to hear it! Thank you!

Being a Dauntless was like clockwork. That clockwork tended to have a degree of spontaneity. Each day was something different, a new challenge, a new set of things to complete. But for Bellamy, one of the members of the younger generation, one of the ones growing up in Dauntless, there was a routine.

You were up at the same time each morning, usually as the sun was rising. Dauntless was not a quiet Faction, nor were they one that you could get away with sleeping the day away. Not unless things were really bad.

Her body had an internal clock, waking her up early in the mornings. Her alcove had a thin light of sunlight streaming through it. If she was up early enough, she would beat the other Dauntless Girls to the showers.

There weren't private bathrooms, not unless you were married. Seeing as how she was only 16, she clambered down the landing and rested her feet on the ground lightly. She got up an hour before others, finding only a few of the older Dauntless members awake at this time.

It was more peaceful this way. And the mornings were the only time she tended to appreciate the peace.

Making her way into the bathrooms, she was quick to rinse off, tugging her hair into a single ponytail, tightly wound at the top of her head. Bellamy didn't tend to spend a lot of time on her appearance outside of her hair.

It was one of the few things that she took pride in.

After that was done, she made her way to the Mess Hall, she swiped a muffin and plate of eggs, quickly devouring the food. Once she was filled, Bellamy took a moment to just sit at the tables, inhaling and working on her breathing.

Her fingers fidgeted with her pocket knife, twirling it over and over again.

Once she started her actual training for the day, she wouldn't have very much time to fidget. She would be too preoccupied with actual tasks that were physically demanding. It was this sort of thing that helped calm her down and focus.

Tori had tried to obtain medicine for her, when she was younger. But Erudite tended to horde such things for themselves, unless extreme circumstances called for it. Not that Bellamy particularly minded.

Throwing her plate and muffin wrapper away, Bellamy began her stretches, eyes set on the compound around her. She was going to run all the way to the Sheer, and then she was going to climb the damn thing before anyone else in her year could do it.

The other Dauntless teenagers didn't really like her very much. She supposed that she deserved that, what with Eric hating her. And having Four's attention pretty much every day. It left a lot of room for jealousy from other girls in Dauntless.

Then there was the simple fact that she didn't have parents. She could do what she wanted and go where she wanted to. There were few things that presented limits or rules, besides Four and Tori. Well, that and breaking the law.

She was a show-off, a braggart, and she knew it. It left a lot to be desired when it came to making friends, something that wasn't really her forte.

Her mind seemed to clear as she took off, feet pressing off of the ground powerfully. She launched forward. Finding her rhythm was the easy part, falling into a pace that she could easily breathe at.

Running was a place where she felt unstoppable, unable to be stopped or beat down by anybody.

The constant beat of her heart, the rush of blood in her ears, the breaths that left her lungs, it was exhilarating and it seemed to bring her to life. Working up a light sheen of sweat, she wound through corridors, coming to a final stop in front of the Sheer.