chapter twenty-three

Start from the beginning

Crystal dragged me to the salon next. I absolutely loved my hair being messed with. The lady sat me down on the chair and fluffed my hair as Crystal whispered something into her ear. I narrowed my eyes but only got a cheeky smile.

The dead ends were cut off which is something that I've been putting off for ages. Still, looking in the mirror something didn't feel right.

"Would you be able to put some light brown highlights into my hair?" I asked, meeting the girl's eyes in the mirror. She double checked her schedule and agreed to do it.

My friend had settled into a chair next to me flipping through a hair magazine. She was showing me different styles to help me pick one.

"This is an awful lot for a date," I commented as the lady began to apply the stuff. My nose wrinkled as the smell hit me.

Crystal waved her hand at me. "Yeah, but when was the last time you did something for yourself like this?" She asked, looking over at me from the top of the magazine.

A sigh left my lips. "You're right. It's just going to take some time to get used to," I said as the lady broke out tinfoil. I did a double-take because that was the last thing I expected her to do.

"You will have to. Luke's going to treat you like a queen," she commented, my heart fluttering. Effort is the most attractive thing to me and I know I'm going to be drowning in an ocean of love.

Who am I kidding? I'm already there.

We settle on some curls and two chunky braids as a crown on the back of my head. The lady sprayed so much hairspray that when we left, I had to take a moment to hack my lungs out. Crystal just laughed at me.

"You're just used to it because you're a model," I croaked, taking a sip of the water I bought from inside.

She flipped her hair. "You have to be."

The last thing we had to do was find the dress. I hated shopping for clothing in general, but specifically dresses. I never felt comfortable in them and I still feel uncomfortable because now I feel too skinny despite the trainer telling me otherwise.

It's something I still need to come to terms with.

The moment we entered the store I lost her in the sea of colors. It was overwhelming and I just started flipping through racks. What did someone wear to a romantic evening with their boyfriend? Why couldn't sweatpants work?

"There you are!" Crystal said, making me jump. She literally just came out of nowhere and had someone with her. "She's going to measure you so we can get the right fit for you."

Without hesitation, the girl put a tape measure on me and began writing down items. "Is this really necessary?" I asked her, looking at the woman who was wrapping her arms around me.

"To get a dress that fits nicely, yes. Plus, you'll need these measurements for other dresses when Luke invites you to award ceremonies and such," she pointed out, the urge to throw up overcoming me. How could I forget about those? My brother's band had one and Kelly had found me the nice dress I wore.

"You have a point," I grumbled, not liking the fact I'll have cameras shoved in my face, but Luke was worth it. I'd run through a sea of those cameras embarrassed if he was on the other side.

The lady handed me a slip and left without another word. Crystal plucked it out of my hand and read it. "So basically you're small."

I blanched at her. "What? That can't be right," I said looking at the slip. The numbers meant nothing to me. When I looked up she already had dresses over her arm.