1:15

My office, aside from home, is my safe haven

My office, aside from home, is my safe haven. Most people raced from their offices, and I couldn't blame them but me, no. It is my place of refuge, of comfort, working in my office sends me delight. I intentionally designed it that way.

The gray sandwall with brown hues is practical while not too intense. My gray chairs elicited my dominance in a nonthreatening way. The marble flooring with brown and gray specs added a feminine touch that brought the entire office together. Each piece of art purposely picked out for its own quality and aesthetic. My soft carpet under my desk aided my aching feet many nights. The large and daunting windows let the sun blaze without remorse, which I needed most days. If not I would be chronically vitamin D deficient.

In complete truth I love my office.

When Jackson Dane walks into my treasure island, he sucks all the life out of it. The gray on the walls seem weak, the sun despondent, and the art out of place. My office has become a dystopian land where nothing is familiar or safe. His showing up today was not planned and I think even my office knows nothing good could come of this. Simply because nothing good has ever come from him.

"Lennie I see you have become better, let's say, acquainted with the Bianchi family." He walks through my office peering at all of my things. I'm going to have to get a cleaning service in here once he leaves.

"You could say something like that," my hands are under my desk fidgeting. I can't let him see my angst; it will only elevate him higher and push him further.

"Tell me," he finally sits opposite of me. My eyebrows raise, I refuse to tell him anything about Fabian or his family. Even if it is a risk for me. "Not quite sure what you mean."

"Oh Lennie don't be coy," he sits up further analyzing me. "I love you as if you are my own daughter. Which is why I'm going to say this, you can be with him, but keep it in line. If he sniffs too closely I will hold the both of you responsible, I would hate to do that."

"I understand that I do, but I would hate to think you do not trust me to do my job."

"See good, that's what I like to hear Lennie. Family first." Bile threatens to come up. I push it down, I couldn't vomit my emotions right now. "Is there anything else you needed, I wasn't lying about the tight schedule."

"No, I won't bother you any longer. I will see you soon." I stand walking home to the office door. His slimy lips kiss my forehead before he enters the elevator.

I shut my office door. I barely completely close it before whatever I was able to push down rises back to the surface. I run almost tripping in the process to my private bathroom. I fall to my knees, thanking the universe that I have pants on. A wave of chunky liquid rushes out of me. It comes with turbulence and animosity, so much I'm convinced it might come from my nose to drown me. My stomach crunches each time. I would do anything to make the solid liquid stop coming. My heart races a thousand beats banging so hard it may pop out my chest. My head rings with sonic sounds.