Chapter 29: Goodbye, Ryan Swift

Start from the beginning

"Okay! New plan," He announces, grabbing Tom's attention to look at him. "Remember the spinning top?" He asks to Tom.

"Oh, no." Tom mumbles.

The spinning top. It's one of Swift's favorite ideas that he showed Tom back when they were still acquaintances. It's a simple idea that involves a maneuverable vehicle and a gun, as well as a strong brain to reject motion sickness because that's what the usual effects are. The idea is to wipe out as many people as one can if they are surrounded.

"Oh, yeah," Swift says, contrasting Tom's cowardice. "Are you ready?"

"Nuh-uh!" Tom shakes his head, but Swift already has his hand pulling the handbrake.

"Too late!"

Swift gives a full tap on the gas pedal, rotating the steering wheel far to the left so the drift keeps going. He maintains it, causing the car to spin in a perfect 360 degrees. Lowering the car windows, he pulls out his pistol with Tom doing the same. Protected by the bulletproof windows, they slip their gun out through the gap they made and the both of them start firing back at Matt's army. They manage to take out eight people, out of a hundred it feels like. Swift has the time of his life opposing Tom who struggles to keep up because of his motion sickness.

One of Matt's henchmen bravely approaches the erratically-driven car while still firing at the two boys. He was close to getting the door open, but Swift pushes it open first, knocking the man down long enough for Swift to leave a bullet in the goon's head. While all of this was happening, Matt and Audrey stopped for a moment to watch it all happen.

"Your boyfriend's crazy," He says to her and she gives a raised-eyebrow look. "Anyways, we'll be out of here shortly," Audrey hums underneath her taped mouth in question. "Buckle up, missy," While still dragging her around forcefully, he nears the plane's cockpit where the pilot stands by. "We should probably go now!" With all of the weapon crates lock and loaded, of course, it was time.

Reloading the gun, Swift proceeds to shoot a few more people that still didn't have their fires ceased. When it's quite safe enough, he stops spinning the car and notices Tom who's looking down beneath the dashboard.

"You okay?" Swift asks.

Tom weakly grabs the dashboard and pulls himself up, "Never better!" He holds his aching head. As the two recover from nausea, they take a look at the plane's propellers which start to spin slowly to fast.

The engines are starting. Swift averts his attention to the plane from Matt's henchmen. "Carter, how much longer with that satellite?!" He asks hurriedly, stepping on the gas to catch up to the escaping aircraft, inside it are Matt and Audrey.

"Just hold on!"

"We don't have another minute to hold on, they're taking off!" Swift says, seeing now the plane's rear starting to close upwards.

A few seconds later, Carter yelps in success, "Got it!" Right after, the rear door stops closing itself. Instead, it starts to open by lowering itself again, in Carter's command. Matt and Audrey suddenly realize the sudden breeze of the wind is caused by the rear door still being open.

"Uh, pilot?! You can close the door now!" Matt says up to the cockpit.

"I can't! It's stuck!" The driver keeps on flipping the back door switch back and forth as the door now scrapes against the runway floor, creating sparks that would make a fire if there's oil nearby.

The plane was gaining more and more speed, so Swift had to do the same. He makes sure his foot is all the way down on the pedal, and the car slowly moves closer to the plane's open rear. He has a plan: To drive the car into the plane, also with hopes of not hitting Audrey who stands in the way. As Swift drives the car faster, something driving into the same runway far ahead from the right catches his attention. A truck, notably an oil truck that belongs as one of the airport's properties, drives itself towards the plane that is still gaining speed. Judging from its position, it's clear that the truck intends to hit the plane from the side or to go directly in front of it to stop it. Who was driving that truck is a mystery.