11. Work Work Work

Emily and Jamilla silently exited Emily's room. As they walked down the hallway, the soft patter of their footsteps echoed through the manor. With each step, and each glance at the intricate designs that surrounded her, Emily felt a renewed sense of purpose, as if the day held endless possibilities waiting to be uncovered. Despite the lingering unease that Jamilla's words had given her, she refused to let it fog the beauty that surrounded her.

As they arrived in the kitchen, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon greeted them like an old friend. They took their seats at the table and eagerly tucked into the hearty breakfast that awaited them. Lost in her musings, Emily's eyes wandered to the counter, where a plate of chocolate-coated apples sat enticingly. She couldn't help but feel a sense of curiosity about them, Clariss left, hadn't she? Emily thought to herself. So she turned to Aida and asked, "Who made the apples?"

"I did. But it's not as good as Clariss's. The workers need them. Every morning they eat a piece each."

"Need them?" Emily questioned. Curiosity visible on her face.

Aida's response was spoken from the heart. There was light in her eyes as she explained that the chocolate-coated apples were a symbol of the hope that Clariss had given them when they first arrived. Despite the overwhelming challenges they faced in renovating the mansion, Clariss had shown them that there was always a glimmer of hope, even in the darkest of times.

Emily's eyebrow arched in curiosity at the mention of their significance.

Just as she was about to ask Aida more about the apples, Jamilla interjected, "I know she was a bitch to you but Clariss had a good heart to her too." Jamilla took a bite of her bread and then continued, "When they arrived here, the manor was a mess. Some of the workers didn't even stay to finish the first day. They just up and left. Soon, the workers, one after the other started to quit."

It was Aida who finished the statement. "That's when Clariss came up with the apple. She'd wake up at 3 in the morning just to make 200 pcs of chocolate-coated apples. The workers respected Clariss for that. She told us that chocolate will make us happy, while the apple will keep us healthy."

"Everyone appreciated that," Jamilla interjected. "And so, day after day, Clariss continued to make the chocolate-coated-apples, until they became a symbol of hope for all the workers."

"And I'm the wicked witch who took away their hope." Emily interrupted.

"That's not it," Jamilla retorted.

"Don't sugarcoat it, Jamilla. She should know the truth." Aida turned her attention to Emily. "Some of the workers aren't happy about Clariss getting the boot. They blame you for it."

Then the cook glanced back at Jamilla, "So do what you were told to do. Watch over her," Aida advised. That's when Emily asked, "Should I be worried about my life?"

Aida chuckled. "No. But Jasper said the workers might pull a prank on you."

"A prank wouldn't merit asking someone to watch over me, Aida." Emily retorted.

"It's not like he got a police officer to guard you, Emily. Having Jamilla beside you is just a precaution. A witness in case some prank does get thrown your way."

Emily threw Jamilla a glance and then asked, "Wouldn't accompanying me impede your work?"

Jamilla, with all her enthusiastic air, jumped out of her seat, rounded the table, and hugged Emily - shocking the woman - then answered, "Nope besides I don't really work here. I only come twice a week to deliver the vegetables and meat."

"What do you mean," asked Emily.

It was Aida who answered."Jamilla is a local. She's the daughter of the meat shop the company procured to deliver produce in the manor. Jasper had spoken to her earlier and as you can see, she's more than happy to stay beside you."