11 | Vigilantes

"We're almost here, girls," Aunt Yan announced.

The black Chevrolet pulled up in front of the Global Commerce Building in the industrial district.

Elise looked confusedly at Amelia and Aunt Yan. "What are we here for?"

"Just picking up a few items from a friend of the Bauhinias," Aunt Yan explained. "Stay in the car."

Amelia looked at Elise. "We'll be quick, I promise. We'll fill you in on everything afterward."

With that, the young woman exited the car with her Aunt, and Elise heard the chirp of the Chevrolet being locked. Elise sighed—she'd never liked being alone before. Even though the Lau Residence seemed gigantic, there were always attendants and officials milling about. Crowds made her feel more secure and protected, especially when she was out in the city. It was her way of feeling integrated into the society she felt excluded from, shielded from the flaws Cantonesia had in her overly protected palace.

Meanwhile, Aunt Yan and Amelia had reached the front steps of the Global Commerce Building. The first rays of the sun were peeking out from over the array of mountains that bordered the horizon, and they illuminated the tip of the skyscraper. It was lightly covered in a thin mist one could only find in Cantonesia in the early mornings—a concoction of wispy clouds and smoke emissions from factories to the northeast.

Amelia was back where she belonged—in the heart of a concrete jungle. However, she'd never seen a serene view in Cantonesia when her home wasn't awake. It was almost ethereal—a city could do wonders without the constant shuffling of footsteps or angry honks everywhere you went. She breathed in the fresh air, not yet polluted by the smell of car emissions.

"Come on," Aunt Yan whispered. "There's not much time left."

Amelia gave her a reluctant nod, not wanting to leave the tranquil atmosphere of the sleeping Cantonesia just yet.

Aunt Yan and Amelia wordlessly walked up the building's silver, metallic front steps, swiped their cards at the gate in the vast lobby, then rode the elevator to the eighty-eighth floor.

Once they exited the elevator, they were greeted by a set of golden doors. Amelia sighed at them, disheartened. She touched the bauhinias engraved on the sparkling door handles and felt an unfamiliar ache spreading through her. This was home, after all. This was her past. And she felt strangely indebted to it. Whether she liked it or not, Ah Ba had constantly been there to dish out commands and assignments for her. Granted, he wasn't the best parent, but at least Amelia could run, dodge, and kick effortlessly because he'd pushed her to her limits.

And whether she liked it or not, Amelia could only follow orders, not give them out.

Ah Ba was gone now. So was her commander...and her trauma.

"Push the door open, Ah Kei. Stop staring at the handles—how many times have you been in here before?" Aunt Yan smirked, oblivious to the tumultuous storm brewing inside her niece.

The young woman did as she was told and threw open the ostentatious door. She gasped—all the bookshelves had been cleared, and the drapes were open. The morning sunlight flooded the room, shining on the specks of dust that lingered on the eerily empty shelves. All of Ah Ba's possessions had been evicted except two small, golden statues atop the grand mahogany desk and the black office chair.

"We had to clear out this space for you, of course. Do as you wish with the room—it's yours now." Aunt Yan whispered.

Amelia's brows furrowed. "Me?"

Aunt Yan rolled her eyes. "No, the people on the thirtieth floor. You're the heiress of the Bauhinias—this organization belongs to you now."

Amelia stuttered. "But—I was going to—"