08 | Heist

"That was a great story, but we've got to hurry." Darling smiled.

Amelia was still stuck in a daze.

"Are you done reminiscing, or will we start the heist next week?" Elise snapped her fingers in front of Amelia's face.

"I'm ready," the young woman came out of her trance and responded tersely. She slung her water bottle crossbow over her shoulder and attached it to her waist. She took a pocket knife from one of the shelves on the right and put it in her pocket. "Have you got your weapons?"

"Darling refuses to lend me her comb—" Elise glared at her earpiece— "so I'll have to use the Sig Sauer and Glock 17 you showed me last time." The woman also put a taser and a rope in her pocket. She handed Amelia a pepper spray.

"Great choice." Amelia nodded approvingly. "One last check over there in the control room?"

"All systems are checked and ready to go," Darling answered confidently.

"The armory is located on the first floor. You'll have to walk up the back staircases to reach Governor Lau's chambers on the fifth floor. I'll keep you posted from the control room and watch the cameras to tell you if there are any adversaries or obstacles. Since it's two a.m., I don't think many guards will patrol the area. Turn right, and give me a heads-up when you exit the arsenal," Darlin informed the pair.

Amelia nodded and prepared to open the door. "Elise, are you ready—"

"Wait!" Elise grabbed the young woman's arm. "This is for you." She held a small weapon in her other hand.

It was the pistol from the training room—the one with the Bauhinias' flower insignia carved into the handle. Its existence had slipped from Amelia's mind, for she'd been too occupied with planning the heist. She used to stare at it longingly during training sessions, but now it was—returned? Given?—to her.

"You can return this to your father after we incarcerate mine," Elise suggested.

Amelia took the pistol and gave Elise a soft, close-lipped smile. "Thank you," she whispered. "I don't think I'll be going back to the Bauhinias, though."

Elise was taken aback. "Wait, what?"

It was too late. Amelia had already opened the door to the armory and slipped out into the inky blackness of the hallway.

***

The pair slinked along the side of the corridor, pressing themselves against the walls. The carpet on the floor muffled the sound of their footsteps, but the two still tried to be as silent as possible, only speaking in the barest of whispers. They ducked under the golden-framed paintings that had become invisible in the darkness, but Elise almost bumped her head on one.

"Aren't you supposed to be familiar with the residence's hallways?" Amelia reprimanded Elise. "You should be able to identify where obstacles are in a familiar environment."

"That's because I walk around the residence in the daytime," Elise retorted harshly. "I can't see anything in the dark."

"That wasn't how I was trained," Amelia mumbled and continued onward.

Soon enough, Elise and Amelia reached the back staircases. With a crackle of static, Darling's voice came through their earpieces. Elise jumped at the sudden noise.

"Once you reach the second floor, look out for the night patrol guards. Use your weapons to take them down, then you can proceed to the ballroom. Walk to the grand staircases and ping me when you're in a safe spot on the third floor," Darling instructed.