01 ; the world is cruel

—————————

—————————

Life as a doctor wasn't easy, but working as a doctor in the countryside made it more relaxing.

Working as a doctor was a busy lifestyle, having to treat patients with all sorts of illnesses and wounds was something that a doctor had to deal with.

One would think that doctors wouldn't have a successful love life, but they'd think wrong.

Fumiko was a doctor yet was able to meet the love of her life and get married. The man she had married was none other then another doctor working at the same hospital.

Gorou Amemiya.

Fumiko specialised in paediatrics whilst her husband specialised in gynaecology.

"Fumiko-san how are you married to that weirdo, he keeps watching shows in the rooms of his patients." The nurse complained as she walked beside the doctor. Fumiko let out a laugh "he's been like that since his residency days, guess old habits for hard."

"Still, I can't believe that he somehow ended up marrying a beautiful goddess like you. How'd you accept his love?"

"Please, I'm no Aphrodite. And plus it was me who asked him out first, I was surprised when he accepted."

The nurse stopped in front of a door and opened it up. Fumiko thanked her and entered the room.

"Hello Sarina, it's time for your daily check up." Fumiko smiled when she saw her patient.

Sarina who was looking out the window turned her attention towards the doctor and nurse who entered the room. "Fumi!" She beamed with a huge smile.

* * *

It was nearing the end of the day and Fumiko had finally finished all of her rounds. She made her way back to Sarina's room to accompany the child for a while before her shift was over.

Humming to herself, Fumiko failed to notice the presence behind her until her vision was covered.

"Guess who~" a voice cooed into her ear, Fumiko smiled as she pretended to be in deep thought "hmm is it nurse Kaito?" She teased.

The hands pulled away from her eyes and she turned around to face a pouting Gorou.

Fumiko smiled at his jealous face as she reached out and cupped his cheeks "I'm just teasing honey." Gorou copied her actions and pulled her cheeks "it's not funny" he mumbled.

Fumiko leaned in and gave Gorou a peck on the lips before letting go of his cheeks and continuing on what she was doing before she was interrupted.

"Sarina!" She called out, the girl who was watching TV turned around and greeted the doctor before looking back at the screen.

Fumiko walked over to the bed with a grin on her face, she stood there quietly until Sarina acknowledged her presence.

Out from her pocket Fumiko handed Sarina a pin, it wasn't any old pin, it was an bunny pin. Specially Ai's avatar. Sarina's face lit up as she threw herself towards Fumiko, giving the woman a hug.

"Thank you Fumi!" Fumiko hugged her back and gave her back a pat "Happy 10th birthday Sarina."

"Fumi, if I was a boy I'd ask for your hand in marriage straight away" Fumiko laughed as she took a seat next to the bed "that means I have to get a divorce though."

"I'm not allowing that" a voice chimed in, both Fumiko and Sarina turned their heads and saw Gorou standing beside the bed. "I'll marry both of you then" Fumiko shook her head playfully as she glanced over at her husband.

"You can only marry one person and Fumi is married to me."

"Who says that you can only marry one person?"

Fumiko smiled as she watched the two of them playfully argue.

It was moments like these that Fumiko cherished, she had an adoring husband and a cute patient that she was close to.

* * *

A year had passed and Sarina was getting weaker by each day. Fumiko would spend time with the girl whenever she could. The two of them would talk about the idol group B-Komachi, mostly Sarina gushing about her bias Ai and Fumiko listening to her.

"Honey, how are you doing?" Fumiko asked upon seeing the figure of her lover when she entered the rooftop of the hospital. Gorou turned around and took a puff of his cigarette "Sarina's not going to be long, just a few months left right?" He questioned quietly, Fumiko gave him a small nod as she walked up to him and leaned over the railing.

She let out a deep sigh "the world is cruel isn't it?" Fumiko looked over at her husband and watched him "but I'm lucky that I have you by my side" she smiled.

Gorou blushed as he pulled Fumiko into a hug "of course, and even if we die I promise that I'll find you in our next life."

"Promise me you'll do that"

"I promise"

"Gorou?"

The male hummed in response, Fumiko pulled away from the hug and looked at him with a serious face.

"I'm pregnant" A look of shock overtook the face of her husband, he dropped his cigarette in surprise. "You're lying" Fumiko shook her head "I took a couple tests to make sure and they all stated that I was pregnant."

"I'm going to be a father!" Gorou picked up Fumiko and spun her around happily.

A week after both Fumiko and Gorou stood in front of the bed with sadden looks overtaking their features. There laid Sarina's corpse. Fumiko felt tears prick the corners of her eyes as she buried her face into the shoulder of her husband who had yet to speak a word.

They were going to tell Sarina the wonderful news but it seemed like it was too late. Fumiko also felt terrible because Sarina had passed before the date that she had thought.

"It'll be fine Fumi, at least she won't be feeling pain anymore." Gorou tried to reassure her, he felt her nod but her grip on his coat had yet to loosen.

"I know, yet I can't seem to stop myself from feeling like this even though I knew that this would happen in the end." Fumiko sniffled as she glanced over at the white sheet that covered the body of the young girl.

—————————