Chapter 6 ~ Landlord

I turned and faced a girl. She was really pretty, with a small face and big eyes and perfectly straight brown hair. Jennifer was her name, I believed. I didn't really know why she was in this building because she wasn't an athlete, but I supposed that I couldn't judge too heavily, since I wasn't one either. Jennifer was the head of River's fan club of ditzy girls who went to every soccer game and still didn't know how the game was played.

"What?" I asked rather plainly.

She flipped her hair over her shoulder and looked me up and down. "What are you doing trespassing in this building?"

I ignored that. She might be able to help me.

"I'm looking for River."

"River Alves?"

"How many other 'Rivers' do you know?"

She scoffed and looked me up and down. "I don't know who you are, but he doesn't need a nobody like you following him like a stupid fangirl," Jennifer said. "I suggest you head back to the science building and stay out of his way."

I tightened my grip on my book. I needed to keep my temper in check.

"Who are you?" I asked her.

"Excuse me? You don't know who I am?" asked Jennifer.

Of course, I knew who she was. "Nope."

Jennifer stepped closer. What was with bullies and getting inside personal space?

"Don't go near him, freak."

Was that the worst name that Jennifer could come up with? I was hoping for something more creative.

I let Jennifer walk away. Aiden taught me long ago to choose my battles wisely, and this was not one that I needed to fight now. Its time would come later.

I turned down a hallway, and then I saw it: the unmistakable long, wavy dark hair of River Alves. It was my lucky day!

"River!" I half-shouted, marching toward him.

Thankfully he was alone, because he'd be fuming if I approached him in front of his team, I assumed. In the short time before he recognized me, he seemed tired, but it turned into a dull anger when he realized who was calling his name.

"Leave me alone." He kept walking.

"I have less than an hour to meet with the landlord now," I rushed to say, trying to keep up with him as he walked down the hallway with large strides. Curse his tallness. "And I work until late, so we have to do it now or tomorrow."

He stopped and turned toward me. I had successfully gained his attention and managed not to run into him during his sudden stop.

"Now?"

"Now! Do you have class?"

"No. I'm free until practice at four."

"Then we should go! The sooner we meet the landlord, the sooner we can sort this out."

"You're right," he said. "I don't want to spend a second longer living with you."

"That makes two of us," I huffed, matching his anger with my own, even if his words stung a bit. Not that they had reason to, I thought.

Without another word, we walked out of the back door of the athletic center and headed towards the parking lot.

"Meet you there," I said, and River nodded.

We got in our cars and drove to the apartment which was luckily about five minutes from campus. River was already going inside the apartment complex's office as I parked.