Chapter 4

My small introduction with Tate was cut short when my mom called for me. Apparently it was dinner time. But for our family, that meant eating another tasteless vegetarian meal of tofu and other shit that belonged on the ground.

I need to find a number for the closest Chinese restaurant that delivers.

Tate was still smoking as he leaned on his window sill. I didn't care for goodbyes, so I shut my window and made my way out of my room without a look back to the gorgeous boy.

The dining room was spacious, and the charm of the dark room and stained glass windows made me happy that this was my new house. But my mother’s expensive, posh furniture looked out of place in this old, rustic home. 

Our old house was in a gated community with neighbors that were at least a mile or two away. Now, we had neighbors that were separated by a fence, and you had to park on the street. I could tell it was a bit distasteful in my mother's opinion, but my dad's moving us was a considerable pay cut.

So as I shoved my food around my plate, my dad cleared his throat.

"I found a few new clients today. I plan to use the study as my office, so I would appreciate it if everyone was quiet while I have a session." He spoke mostly to me.

I often sat in my room painting with loud music on, he hated it.

"Well, Ben, why don't you get an office?" My mother snapped as she pushed her retched food away from her.

"We don't have the money to rent out an office space, Vivien. Since I'm the only one working, I decide how to spend the money." 

I rolled my eyes as they started into another fight about money and what was 'best for this family.' Usually they would notice me sitting there, and quit it until they thought I was in bed. But today, the moods were way off, and so was their argument.

It was easy to slink off, and out the house. I snatched they keys from the small table in the foyer.

I took my father's BMW and drove wondrously around the city until a found a burger joint. The inside was dim and grimy, and the air was permeated with smoke. But it the delicious smell of fries and fresh grilled meat made my stomach grumble irritatingly. I sat at the bar and ordered right away.

The first bite of a full fat bacon cheeseburger with onion straws made me moan to myself. Real meat tasted superb next to all the tofu I was forced to eat.

I saw a guy bits older than me sit next to me at the bar. He was wearing a dark red flannel shirt and a beanie covering his black hair. He was attractive, in that skater boy kind of way. He laughed at me when I shoved more food in my mouth before offering me a napkin.

"You have some ketchup on your chin." His smooth voice rung out in the somewhat quiet restaurant, I liked it.

"Oh thanks. If you wouldn't have told me, I was going to walk out of here with food all over myself." I said before we laughed together at my corny joke.

"I'm Gabe."

"Violet." We shook hands, and his callously ones felt rough yet smooth against mine.

We sat there and talked for a while. I even let him share some of my greasy fries. What can I say, you would have had to be on my good side for me to share food with you. I may be thin, but I'm a pig.

I found out that he was a senior at Westfield High. He liked to skateboard, and lived with his dad. 

I only told him the basics, but not in much detail. I didn't need to vent my shit to some stranger. When I saw that it was approaching midnight, Gabe and I parted ways. He gave me his number in exchange for mine.

We would be seeing each other. That much I knew. But the lingering looks from Tate let me know that anything romantic with Gabe might never happen.

God, when did I become such a girl.

There's a gif on the side from the show. It was a scene when they were at the dinner table, and it fit here! Remember to vote and comment.