☆Chapter 4☆

I ran towards my mother who was walking to the backyard where a fancy woman with blond her was waiting for us.

"Good day Maya. We are the Johnson family." Mother said.

____

" Good afternoon my dears, I've been waiting to meet you for some time now." The governor exclaimed with the most polite and friendly approach she could portray.

In opposition of the common assumptions about her persona, Maya Goodwater didn't show any type of egocentric authority or cruel attitude. Instead, she was the type of person that would show a warm and open aura to lure the people near her to trust her, manipulating them into becoming pieces of her own chess game.

Personally, that hypocritical attitude of hers is what angered me the most. Villagers like me knew what she's capable of accomplishing just for power. I had seen the control she held with my own eyes, specially through my father.

"Please sit here and make yourselves comfortable." She continued while pointing at the chairs at the other side of the square table where she was sitting before.

"Alright, thank you-" said my mom.

"You said you wanted to see us to discuss something about the land we own, right?" I interrupted, receiving a surprised glace from my mother.

"Yes, I suppose you're Emily. I heard how hard working you are when your father was doing business with me." Revealed the governor, before quickly adding "this is why I want to offer you a job at one of my buildings that will pay you three times more of what you earn now. Apart from this, I'll give your mother some money in exchange of the property you have."

"No, there is no way we are accepting this, I don't see any benefit for us here." Stated my mother, her breaths quickening by the second "Did you really believe we will agree to your offer? This situation already happened before; don't you remember? You offered MY husband a job, money and a better life just like you're doing with my daughter! He started acting strange when one day he was gone! Leaving his family behind!" screamed my mom with tears in her eyes.

"Mom-"

"Mrs. Johnson. I feel deeply sorry for what you went through, but you must understand that your husband's decision has nothing to do with me." The governor said sternly. "Believe me when I tell you that you will not be able to find another offer like this. Who knows, something unfortunate might happen one day..."

"You monster! You bi-"

"Mom! Can we talk privately for a second?" I said which made her send a piercing stare my way. "Please..." I insisted. I didn't like where this conversation was going.

"Alright." My mom reluctantly answered.

We both decided to go to the little garden in the backyard, since only a few individuals were admiring the beautiful black flowers decorating the big bushes.

After making sure we were alone,  I explained "Mom, I know how you feel about this and I know you're scared, but I actually think it would be a good idea if we accepted the offer."

"Emily, I won't let you follow your father's steps! I tried seeing it the good way, but I can't. The more we get involved with her, the more we'll be in danger." Argued my mother.

"But why don't you try to see the bigger picture, mom? She literally said that my father doesn't work with her anymore, that means that he didn't leave us to receive benefits from Maya! What we know about my father doesn't make sense. Why would he leave his family behind and just disappear?" I reasoned.

"Maybe he didn't love us..."

"Mom, you know he loved us. He sacrificed so many things just to see us smile."

"Look Emily, I'll warn you one more time. Accepting her offer is not a good idea. I know you won't listen to me, so if you want to risk your life, fine. But I won't let you drag me and Kelly down with you." Decided my mom, before walking out of the garden.

I looked at her as she sat in front of Maya and talked to her. Something in my chest broke at that moment. I didn't think that my mother, one of the only people who ever cared for me, just abandoned me. I felt small in that garden, the bushes were surrounding me, blocking my way. My personal prison. I was alone.

****************

A/N: What will she do now? What's her plan? Does she have a plan? 

Short chapter today, sorry guys.. 

I have a feeling next chapter will be longer though, bwahaha... 

{Black flowers can symbolize: power, mystery, mourning, despair, sadness, death, hatred}